Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
A DPA is needed when you have an adjustable trac-bar and also utilize a drop trac-bar bracket on the frame side. For perfect steering geometry you want your Trac-bar and Drag Link to be parallel to each other. So if you drop the trac-bar you also have to drop the drag link as to not max out the tie rod ends. There's a picture of the steering setup on TJ here some where, I'll see if I can find it.

Basically for a 3 inch lift you do NOT need a DPA.

Here's the diagram I was describing. You can see the Pitman Arm is what connects the steering components to the steering box itself.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
You won't need a DPA until you reach about 6" of lift on a TJ.

·
I got nothin'
1,901 Posts
And you should be thankful. They are a pain to change. I broke 3 pullers, and finally had to cut almost through it in 2 spots to remove it. Not fun!

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Even at 4", some lifts MIGHT require it, but if you do an adj track bar w/o any kind of drop bracket, chances are you won't.

If you do a 4" lift, install it all, except the DPA, then only install it if you find you need it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
tummy tuck

deleted response (didnt wanna hijack) see new threads...

·
Registered
514 Posts
by 6" of lift, you mean suspension, not tummy tucks etc right?
Yes, a tummy tuck will affect driveline angles (raises trans and t-case) but will not affect track bar and steering (does not change distance from axles to frame).

·
WINNAR!!!!!!
2018 JLUR on tons and 40's.
6,852 Posts
And you should be thankful. They are a pain to change. I broke 3 pullers, and finally had to cut almost through it in 2 spots to remove it. Not fun!
Depends on your method. Use the puller to put tension on the pitman arm. Once you get it tight use a hammer to free the pitman arm. You should hit the pitman arm directly. Usually takes a couple turns of the wrench to tighten the puller again and hitting it with the hammer before it pops free. I learned this the hard way thinking the puller was supposed to do all the work. Snapped one myself. :)

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Nice Andy I was just going to say the same thing about tightening the puller and the apply the appropriate whack with a hammer right on the side of the pitman arm. Works every time. :D

·
I got nothin'
1,901 Posts
Nice Andy I was just going to say the same thing about tightening the puller and the apply the appropriate whack with a hammer right on the side of the pitman arm. Works every time. :D
That's how I broke the second one!:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts