Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy rubicon wheels for my wrangler sport 03, and I found a set of 5 for very cheap with the goodyear wranglers mtr's with 80% of tread still left. I know I always see rubicons with the black sidewall on the outside. I'm assuming they have white on the inside? If anybody could correct me on this it would help because I like the look of the white letters on outside.
Thank you!

·
Registered
33 Posts
white letters???

you are correct butif,,,,, newword for the dictionary of kidisms, you are going wheel and you might rub them a bit and then they will look crappy

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
you are correct butif,,,,, newword for the dictionary of kidisms, you are going wheel and you might rub them a bit and then they will look crappy
This is why I stopped running white-letters-out.
Between the brownish mud stains on it, and the chunks of white that were just plain gone, it looked kind of sad.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Rub a few rocks and curbs and the white lettering will look like hell. I had white letters out one set (factory), and then went black out and never looked back.

·
Banned
1,006 Posts
Black out. White lettering out is for mall crawlers (around here anyway).

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys for the help but the guy still hasnt emailed me back about the tires. Must be too good to be true. 5 rubicon rims on wrangler mtrs with 80% tread and only wanted $500

·
Banned
1,006 Posts
I know that the mtr's are directional tread tires. So they can only be one way. They used to only make like 35"s and above with white letters inside. And under that had white letters out. But it seems like that has changed.
They may be directional but they could still be mounted with the black out by putting the tires on the opposite side of the Jeep. After the tires have been remounted on the wheels of course.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
I know that the mtr's are directional tread tires.
No, they are not. The newer kevlar MT/R only has an asymmetrical tread pattern that helps improve traction when the outside edge of the tire is used to pull itself up or along an obstacle. Reversing the tire so the blackwall or sidewall is out changes nothing aside from losing that added traction benefit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts