Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
87 here. Can only get E10. If I could find ethanol free I would use it exclusively.

·
Registered
24 Posts
2013 2D Sport - 87 in the colder months, 89 in the summer due to engine pinging under load that the dealer cannot duplicate or fix. I've tried ethenol free and no difference as well as all gas station brands in the area.

·
Registered
10,414 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
87 here and trying to avoid ethanol at every fill.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
87 seems to give me the same performance as 89; while I prefer "e0" the 1200 mile test I did on it a couple years ago didn't give any obvious advantages.

·
Registered
830 Posts
87 minimum.. don't pay that much attention to ethanol content.. Would certainly prefer 0 ethanol, but the taxpayer subsidizing and mandates make that difficult.

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
2013 2D Sport - 87 in the colder months, 89 in the summer due to engine pinging under load that the dealer cannot duplicate or fix. I've tried ethenol free and no difference as well as all gas station brands in the area.
Same here. There is absolutely no performance benefit to be had from using a higher octane than what's required by the manufacturer but I up it up one notch when towing or heavily loaded in hot weather, just for a higher margin of safety.

It's more important to stick to Top Tier brands.

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
87 No Ethanol. I get much better mileage from it, but the only place that sells it at a reasonable price around here is Loves Travel Stop.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Higher octane fuel resists detonation. Thats why its used in engines with high compression and forced induction. The increased intake/cylinder preasures require the higher octane fuel to prevent pre detonation of the fuel before the spark.

Running higher octane in an engine not tuned for it generally results in poorer performance because the lower heat/cylinder temps and spark timing provide a less efficient burn.

Ethenol itself has a pretty high octane and resists detonation. A lot of performance guys are switching to E85 because in essence its a cheap high octane fuel. The downside is it produces a lot less energy per gallon that straight gas so they often need to run larger fuel pump/s and bigger injectors due to the added fuel demands.

All that being said most will find they get the best fuel economy and performance from 87 octane fuel with no ethanol since the ethanol raises the flash point of the fuel making for a less efficient burn.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
E10
Top Tier only... Usually Shell or Mobil.

And I would like to thank the OP for this thread....because I just went to go check the Top Tier list....and COSTO made it! (I see BP is now on their as well)

Sweet!
Top Tier Gasoline

Being that BP, Chevron, Concoco, Exxon, Mobil, Phillips 66, Shell, and Texaco are on the list (along with places like Costco, Quick Trip, Kwik Trip/Star)....you would almost have to go searching for gas that isn't Top Tier.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts