Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...think I've found a 2010 JK Unlimited Rubicon that is a bit of unicorn having the options & color I like at a price that is almost reasonable for the mileage and condition. Has about 50,000 miles on it.

Planning to take it down a gravel road on the test drive to make sure 4hi / 4lo engage and disengage properly. Nothing too serious for the test drive, just make sure everything functions.

4wd I have a lot of experience with. Lockers I've only used on my compact tractor.

So I'm not sure other than relying on the indicator lights if there is anything, short of finding slippery ground, that I should hear/feel to know the lockers engaged? Or are these pretty much bullet proof?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I can't venture an opinion on the durability of the lockers... but for the sake of testing I've always found that doing a few tight turns in 4wd should cause the drive-line to "bind up" a bit and then slip or scuff; thus confirming engagement overall of the 4wd. As for lockers and limited slip stuff, I would guess in low range (so the traction control is off) in a fairly tight turn if you goose the throttle you should hear/feel both rears (I THINK the lock is on the rears on an Rubicon??) spin up a bit. Best to do this on dirt, and not a lot of speed is needed... Maybe have someone observe from behind for dual wheelspin?

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
You put it in low range and lock the rear as soon as you try to turn you will feel the rear locked, even more so with the front. Make sure the lights stop blinking. Same with unlock, lights stop blinking. Sheck the sway disco also. Ask for maintenance records.

You know what to look for.

Reactions: Dalmatian90

·
Retired Moderator
100,716 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Registered
970 Posts
+1 that you should be able to feel the difference between locked and unlocked when turning. Do it on the gravel like you said so it doesn't bind up, and transition through and try it out on each setting...2WD, 4Hi, 4Lo, rear locked, front and rear locked. As mentioned, wait for the locker lights to stop blinking (i.e. constantly illuminated) as the indication that it should be locked. You should be able to feel and hear a difference between each one (again, while turning, if going straight line you won't notice much difference other than the lower gearing of 4Lo of course). If you can't notice a difference between all of these I'd investigate further.

For the sway bar disconnect, if you don't know already it won't stop blinking if you go above I think 17 mph. It will also automatically reconnect if you turn the Jeep off in 4Hi, but I think it stays disconnect if you're in 4Lo (or at least immediately disconnects again when you start back up in 4Lo).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
>as soon as you try to turn

I feel kind of silly now since as soon as I read it, I was like, "Duh." Even know the gravel intersection I'll try it at, locked and unlocked. Anyone observing me keep backing up and try again will probably think I'm nuts :)

I know how my tractor steers differently when the diffs are locked, just wasn't thinking about it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, as a thank you to those who posted here's a picture when the dealer dropped it off this morning:

(1) My dad had the license plate before the TV show;
(2) The roof on the garage will be getting replaced next year;
(3) It's name is Ryuk (ree-you-kay)
(4) For the geeks here going, "Wait, what?"...in addition to my regular job and dealing with purchasing this, I've been working 5+ hours a day for the last 5 days helping a friend's company recover from an attack of ransomware called Ryuk. At a month's payment worth of billable hours each day...seemed like a good name :D

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts