Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for recommendations for the quietest aftermarket exhaust for my '07 JKU 3.8l - axle forward.

My stock muffler is starting to rust out and I would like to use the stock muffler location for other stuff (bigger trunk, compressor etc).

Biggest annoyance would be drone inside at speed - and would prefer as quiet as possible.

I've read some posts about using resonator + muffler under the jeep along the rail, but many of those threads were pretty old (4yrs +)...hoping there has been some learning & advancements.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
17 Posts
For a couple hundred thousand miles I had a Flowmaster hoping for better gas mileage.

I didn't get better MPG but I could get the performance improvement. But two things flustered me
1. When the baffles rusted away it was incredibly loud and droned maddeningly.

2. I got the performance exactly where they said I would find it, above 3,500 RPM. Every vehicle I've driven cruises, the speed limit not yours, around 2,000 RPM.

Unless you race, or just like noise, stay stock.

Description by Motor Trend of a Porsche; "he stepped on the gas and it was like cracking open the gates of hell." I'd like that when I needed Max-Power but I want mouse quiet the rest of the time.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Gibson is generally regarded as among the quietest aftermarket performance exhaust systems. And their systems would probably free up the space you’re looking for.

Edit: upon closer look, Gibson doesn’t offer what you looking for for Jeep. Their website shows pics of systems when you go to the Jeep section but they must be for something else. Looks like their Jeep kits all out muffler in stock location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx for the response....I'll keep looking. There is a ton of space once the evap canister is relocated - may be enough for a typical oval can muffler, resonator and just run the tailpipe out the back...

I'll tackle this once I get a few other things taken care of - my factory 10 axel shafts showed up with excessive vertical and horizontal run-out (hub face way off and shaft/bearing race is also off).

sent via cone of silence

1 - 6 of 6 Posts