Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a right drive 1995 YJ sahara. We have now been told that the steering linkages Tie rod and drag link, adjuster tubes ect are no longer made for the right hand drive. We have searched and made phone calls and messages all over the world, and nothing is available. So we either have to scrap the car because we need these parts, or find an alternative. So my question is, can the left hand drive set up be reversed as long as all track rod ends and adjustment tubes and bars swapped at the same time. In my head all the bars are straight, no cranks / bends or anything, so removing the drag link and fitting it from the opposite side of the drag link, will allow me to completely flip the set up around. Then it should fit as a right hand drive should. The only thing i can think of that it would affect, is that any adjustment would be made in the opposite direction.
As you guys know more about these cars than i do, what are your thoughts on this?
Do you think that this is possible?
I can't think that we have to scrap perfectly good cars for this one component.
Thanks in advance for your advice and thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
12,661 Posts
Welcome to the Forum squizzil,

At this point, I'd try exactly what you're thinking. It sounds like it'll work. Let us know.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: gat

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
There are many different ways to fix this problem. You could modify the stock steering components by flipping it around the other way. But then the drag link would be on the wrong side of the tie rod which would more than likely cause problems and could bind. So you would have to flip it to over the knuckle by drilling the knuckle tapers out and welding sleeves in so you could run over the knuckle steering.

Or you could use Chevy parts but again you would need to modify the knuckles by reaming the tapers larger to fit the GM rod ends.

I am thinking the Rusty's offroad steering kit should solve your problem. It's not made to be reversed but the way it is designed it could be because the drag link attaches to the top dead center of the tie rod. This seems like the easiest solution to fixing your problem because it requires the least amount of work and it is not that expensive.

Here is a video of this kit being installed on a Jeep TJ Wrangler. You can see how easy it would be to install it with the drag link on the drivers side. And since it uses factory tapers you don't have to modify your knuckles.

Reactions: gat

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
never mind the steering stabilizer mount is included with the linkage kit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the sort of answers and ideas i am after.
I know the drag link would be on the wrong side, but is the hole in the tie rod tapered?
The link posted seems like a good alternative, but it doesn't say if this is compatible with a standard height, or only for lifted vehicles. Anyone know?
Plus Rusty's don't ship to the UK, but Quadratec do, so that isn't a problem.
Thank you for the inputs guys.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
This is the sort of answers and ideas i am after.
I know the drag link would be on the wrong side, but is the hole in the tie rod tapered?
The link posted seems like a good alternative, but it doesn't say if this is compatible with a standard height, or only for lifted vehicles. Anyone know?
Plus Rusty's don't ship to the UK, but Quadratec do, so that isn't a problem.
Thank you for the inputs guys.

Yes the hole on the tie rod is tapered.

You can buy GM style tapered tie rod ends for inverted T style steering that the YJ uses but the taper is larger and will not fit the factory jeep taper. They sell them in 2 styles over the knuckle and over the knuckle.

Over Knuckle

Under Knuckle

But even if you went this rout you would need a $90 taper reamer and ream the jeep tapers out. Then you would need to buy DOM tube and inserts to cut and weld to how long you needed them to be. You can buy the kit here Under The Knuckle One Ton Y-Link Steering Kit

But for your use i would go with the Rustys kit since it comes with rod ends that match the factory taper and it should work on a YJ with no lift but i would call them to ask and tell them what your doing with it. They should be able to help you figure out if it will work. There is a disclaimer saying that if you have more than 6" of lift to use their over the knuckle kit. I ran 4.5" of lift with stock steering linkage so you should be good.

* For vehicles with 6" or more of suspension lift, we STRONGLY recommend the RS-SC300-UV Over the Knuckle Steering Conversion*

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
The only thing i could think of that would prevent the Rustys steering kit to bolt on directly. Is if that the RHD jeeps steering box is not a mirror image of the LHD jeeps. If the RHD box is mounted slightly different or if the RHD pitman arm is clocked a bit differently you could have problems if there not enough adjustment.

The pitman arm has 4 master splines so you cant clock it over a few splines. If you had to do that you can file the master splines out by hand (i have done it) it's not easy but it is doable. You use a hack saw blade to cut the center of the new spline then you a triangle rat til file to cut the spline. Mine did not come out perfect when i did it but it was good enough and it works.

But if it the RHD is a mirror image of the LHD it should bolt up without any issue. Having pictures of the steering box and how it mounted to the frame to look at would help see if there was anything weird going on with it and eyeball pitman arm angles would help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, i will get some photos later and maybe we can come up with a plan between us. It's a shame that the right hand drive parts are no longer made, but i do understand it. I have done some checking, and in our country there are only 61 right hand drive YJ's on the road. Not really worth it for manufacturer's to keep making them.

·
Super Moderator
12,661 Posts
Thank you, i will get some photos later and maybe we can come up with a plan between us. It's a shame that the right hand drive parts are no longer made, but i do understand it. I have done some checking, and in our country there are only 61 right hand drive YJ's on the road. Not really worth it for manufacturer's to keep making them.
Not that I know anything about them, but Jeep made a type of right hand drive vehicle for the U.S. Postal Service. it had a kinda CJ or YJ look to it but with sliding doors and a box body. I doubt that they were 4WD but I do know that they were right hand drive. There might be an outside chance you could adapt something from USPS surplus sales.

I still see RHD Cherokees from time to time. Typically these are used by independent rural mail carriers. I expect the RHD Cherokees use the same Dana-30 front axle as the RHD YJs do. Perhaps if you checked out parts availability for RHD Cherokees you might have some success. Instead of Googling "RHD Wrangler parts" try Googling "RHD Cherokee (XJ) parts".

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

These are photos of our right hand drive steering box on the car. The pitman arm isn't cranked off to one side, so i think that is a good thing.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Maybe it's the angle of the picture but it looks slightly offset to the left hand (RHD passengers) side. I think that LHD jeeps are slightly pointed to the left hand side (RHD drivers) side as well. So the drag link may end up being a little too long just based on eye balling it. But the Rustys drag link could be shortened by someone who knows how to measure twice and cut once and weld a new insert in.

I would go look at my jeep but it's not stock anymore. I think i tried to clock my new pitman arm to what it was from the factory but my steering is all custom stuff so i cant go off eye balling it.

This was my jeep with stock steering you can see that the pitman arm looks like it is offset to the LHD side.

When i did an axle swap and built my own 1 ton steering i used a pitman arm off a second gen jeep grand cherokee. Since the master splines were not clocked for my jeep i had to file out the master splines so i could clock it where i wanted it to be. Since it was clocked slightly toward the RHD side i just put it there. I marked 2 red lines so you can see how far they are offset. Maybe someone with stock steering can see if theirs is offset as well.

Your steering can be fixed it's just finding the best and cheapest way to go about it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for your help, and ideas i really appreciate them all, and please keep the ideas coming. I have looked at the parts for the right hand drive Cherokee's but they seem to have a crank in them.
We can get the track rod ends, but it's the long tie rod with the fixed track rod end and the holes in for the drag link that's the problem. Also none of the tubes are available, so if we bend one at the moment it's game over.
I am thinking if we can replace the drag link ends (provided they are not seized solid), and replaced the tie rod with the one from Rusty's maybe we could get away with it. It would then give me time to see if i can mod the Rusty's drag link to match my own.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
I have looked at the parts for the right hand drive Cherokee's but they seem to have a crank in them.
Jeep Cherokee's (and TJ Wranglers) use Inverted Y steering linkage and YJ Wranglers used Inverted T steering linkage. The axles in the Cherokee TJ and YJ are all the same width and use the same tie rod end tapers. So you could put XJ/TJ steering on a YJ and it should work. The only problem i can see with it is that the steering stabilizer mount on the axle is different so you would either have to not run one or come up with a solution to mounting it a different way.

I don't run a steering stabilizer and i don't notice any difference. But your experience may be different and i don't know what the laws are in the UK for removing factory steering parts. You might be able to use something like this that mounts the axle end of the stabilizer to the frame. Or just fabricate a mount that positions the stabilizer at the same angle and weld it onto the axle. Rough Country 87307 Stacked Dual Steering Stabilizer for 87-95 Jeep Wrangler YJ

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Inverted Y steering that the Cherokee and TJ uses.

Inverted T steering that the YJ used

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Going back to the idea of using the left hand drive set up and reversing it, thanks to help on here it has come to light that the hole in the tie rod for the drag link is tapered. I have looked into various ideas and contacted a lot of suppliers including Rusty's and some have replied, but a lot haven't including Rusty's. I am thinking one of the simpler options is to drill out the hole in the left hand drive tie rod, and fit something like this, Goferit Products!. I know that this is not made for that purpose, but i can try and get something similar made to match the taper in the tie rod, but fit it from the opposite side. If we can make it an interference fit, then weld it in too it should be a strong option.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi squizzel I am a UK RHD YJ owner. Hope we bump into each other one day! There are a lot of RHD YJs in Japan - I was looking to import one from there before I got (very) lucky here. I used to know someone who imported car parts from Japan (there are also scrap cars in reasonable shape to be bought at auction). If you haven't already exhausted this route I can see if I can dig out the contacts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's always worth a shot.
There's not many YJ#s in the UK now so it's always good to meet others with these vehicles, and to have a network of parts suppliers.
Thank you

·
Registered
11 Posts
PM'd you.
South Africa also has RHD Jeep YJs. Might be worth trying there too if in a bind. I am still very much learning mechanics but wondered if this was the part Luckmac was talking about? If not perhaps the sellor has what you need?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes those are the parts, but in the write up it says it needs new ends. The one end is part of the tie rod, and it is this one that is no longer made. The other track rod ends we can get, but it is that long one that is causing the problem. It is a lot of money if that one is worn.
I have looked at South Africa and also Australia as they have right hand drives too, and i have a family member living out there to help, but nothing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts