Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
If the linkages are similar dimensions to a TJ, Crown/XT Offroad do a RHD TJ link that might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
South Africa also has RHD Jeep YJs. Might be worth trying there too if in a bind. I am still very much learning mechanics but wondered if this was the part Luckmac was talking about? If not perhaps the sellor has what you need?

That drag link is way shorter than i thought it would be. I assumed it would connect on the left hand side of the jeep and be a mirror image of the RHD jeeps.

That thing would be a nightmare to lift due to that steering geometry.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Actually looking again at that set up, the drag link is way too short. It should be longer, just like the left hand drive one.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,908 Posts
I'd like to see some pics of the gear on your YJ, Having never seen one in person I'm conjuring up all sorts of contraptions...LOL

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'd like to see some pics of the gear on your YJ, Having never seen one in person I'm conjuring up all sorts of contraptions...LOL

It's actually just like the l/h drive set up just around the other way.
Jonny Jeep... i have looked at the TJ links, they have a crank in them the YJ doesn't, but thanks for the idea.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,908 Posts
Agree, pretty much looks like you need the left hand drive steering gear just flipped around. The box is in the same position inside the frame so everything should be just about backwards.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Agree, pretty much looks like you need the left hand drive steering gear just flipped around. The box is in the same position inside the frame so everything should be just about backwards.
It's the taper in the tie bar for the drag link that's the problem really. It will be backwards, so i think i am going to get some tapered sleeves made like these

But obviously the inside of the sleeve will match the taper in the tie rod, then drill the tie rod out, so they are an interference fit. Push them in then weld them to secure them in. Hopefully that should do the trick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm also a RHD YJ owner and interested in the results here. If you're getting some sleeves made up I'd be interested in buying some too for when I have to tackle the same issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I'm also a RHD YJ owner and interested in the results here. If you're getting some sleeves made up I'd be interested in buying some too for when I have to tackle the same issue.
No problem, i also have someone else interested too. But i have to be sure that this will work first. If it does and i feel confident it will, i will get a few done, it would just be cost + post. Not looking to make anything from them, just keep these cars on the road.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts