Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with both of these? I'm just wondering what's the pros and cons of each.

Also, if I did go with the Rancho shocks, which should I purchase? I have a RK 2.5" lift but I'm probably going to go higher in the future. Are the 29/30's with just under RK's recommended 27" extension fine or should I go with the 31/32 combo that's a bit over the 27" Is there going to be a big difference?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Anyone have experience with both of these? I'm just wondering what's the pros and cons of each.

Also, if I did go with the Rancho shocks, which should I purchase? I have a RK 2.5" lift but I'm probably going to go higher in the future. Are the 29/30's with just under RK's recommended 27" extension fine or should I go with the 31/32 combo that's a bit over the 27" Is there going to be a big difference?
Kjeeper10 has a special affinity for the 9000xl's

When I am ready, the adjustability sounds like a big plus so that will be my choice

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,476 Posts
I run the Fox IFP 2.0's. They are a great shock. Plus, with the RK 2.5" lifts that ou are running, we run a longer shock as well. We usually do the 4-6" lift height with these. We have had zero complants about them!

-Jason

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Six said:

subscribe. very interesting Q!!!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Basically asking if 27" is ok for the rear ?

That I don't know :)
OK, so I think this will be the last piece of the puzzle. If you can't have exact extension and collapse numbers, is it better to be outside the suggested range or inside? Does this apply for extended and collapsed?

Like say it's 16-27 reccomended, would it be better to buy a 15.5-27.5 shock, a 16.5-26.5 shock, a 16.5-27.5 shock, or a 15.5-26.5 shock?

From what I've read, I'll be getting more than 2.5" with a jeep that has no aftermarket parts. Eventually I'm going to get the 3.5" lift, bumpers, new wheels and tires, a winch, and a kitchen sink, but for now with just the RK 2.5", people have been quoting larger numbers with a lift in similar circumstances.

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
Six said:
OK, so I think this will be the last piece of the puzzle. If you can't have exact extension and collapse numbers, is it better to be outside the suggested range or inside? Does this apply for extended and collapsed?

Like say it's 16-27 reccomended, would it be better to buy a 15.5-27.5 shock, a 16.5-26.5 shock, a 16.5-27.5 shock, or a 15.5-26.5 shock?

From what I've read, I'll be getting more than 2.5" with a jeep that has no aftermarket parts. Eventually I'm going to get the 3.5" lift, bumpers, new wheels and tires, a winch, and a kitchen sink, but for now with just the RK 2.5", people have been quoting larger numbers with a lift in similar circumstances.
Well that's just a number (27" 26")

Collapsed will depend on the proper bumpstop heights I believe. Limiting straps will prevent from overextending. I don't know how RK got those numbers.
I would be more concerned with collapsed length then extended. Then again, it's a $75 shock. One goes boom- replace it.
Kill a $800 shock :eek:

Some people run 11" 12" total travel shocks on smaller lifts for travel. The rig would have to be setup for this.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went ahead and ordered your setup of the 30/31.

I was interested in the Fox shocks, but I was a bit leary about the ride. I've been in another lifted jeep and it was like riding on boards. I really didn't want to get stuck with a ride I didn't like and I liked having the adjustability on the coilovers in my previous VWs, so that swayed me in the direction of the ranchos.

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
Suckers !!!!! Rofl

2 door/4 door, style coils, weight will all play a part in ride.

I tried the popular Bilsteins on my 2 door and hated the ride. Even on a softer with the Softer setting it still rides like a jeep. Still has the truck feel without the harshness.
I used the stock bushings up top rather than the very stiff red ones they provide. I don't know if it makes a difference or not.

Post up when you get them on.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Youll love the ranchos... PO put these on with the wireless controller and have zero complaints... plus the adjustable dampening is awesome, subtle, but definitely noticeable. When i get around to buying a lift ill be sticking with these.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Ranchos are nice, but I would rather have a custom valved Fox shock directly from the Fox R&D shop. Problem is price. I run the Bilsteins and they work great for the heavy unlimited. I hear they are a little stiff on the 2 door.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ranchos are nice, but I would rather have a custom valved Fox shock directly from the Fox R&D shop. Problem is price. I run the Bilsteins and they work great for the heavy unlimited. I hear they are a little stiff on the 2 door.
I want Fox shocks with the resevior and adjustibility, but $300 for a set of shocks vs. $800 is a bit much when I may have to upgrade in the future.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts