Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if a 4 point harness is street legal in Ohio?

·
Registered
792 Posts
I wouldn't run one unless you got the right seats and a full cage. In a factory seat if a roll over happans its still possible to move so you don't get crushed. With racing buckets and a harness they stop you from moving. Which means your head will get crushed. The factory Jeep set up is not a very good one. I've got the Baja ss seats but I refuse to run a harness untill I can improve on the the factory set up or build a whole new cage.

Just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Shouldn't be illegal at all. Ohio law states the driver and all front passengers must wear a seat belt, and they define that as an approved safety belt with anchor points sufficient to hold 4000lbs per belt. So as long as it is approved for road use, should be good.

You will also need a bar crossing behind your front seats to anchor to. If you anchor to the floor compression injuries are a serious risk (which can leave you paralized).

·
Registered
792 Posts
Yes make sure the bar is shoulder height. Otherwise in a impact the belts can compress your spine

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've been through Ohio plenty of times (live in IN) and have never been hassled. i don't run any factory seat belts.
just RCI 5 pt harnesses. never had a problem anywhere come to think of it.

but as said before, i would think of improving factory cage or building a new cage if youre running harnesses.

i run a full cage and hyundai tiberon seats and rci harnesses. works great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts