Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are 4 point racing harnesses legal or not? I've heard both and tried to loom it up but had no luck.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
Your state law has the last say on that whether it requires your OE seatbelt to remain in place, whether the seatbelt has the required NHTSA Letter of Approval, is DOT Compliant, etc. but my main point is going to be this... even if you install a 4 or 5-pt. harness, keep your OE 3-pt. seatbelt installed.

Why? Because 4 and 5-pt. harnesses are such a PITA to use as well as being so uncomfortable for street use that you'll soon be back to using your factory seatbelt which takes, what, 3 seconds to connect? Even my simple 2-pt. cam-lock 3" lap belt I use when I'm offroad is too much of a PITA for street use.

One thing for sure, only push-button latches have any chance of being legal so if what you're looking has the cam-style latch, it has no chance of being street legal. But the cam-style latch is BY FAR the best for offroading since it will work even if it gets dirty as happens in an offroad vehicle. I wouldn't even consider buying a push-button style 4 or 5-pt. harness for offroad use.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Also, you have to look into how it needs to be mounted. The top harness should not be anchored low, i.e. floor. They are supposed to be attached to a bar behind the seat. Do research for the proper height.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I had a 4 pt om my 71 Bronco it was a PITA x5

Mud

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I'm gunna rethink the whole idea. I need a new seatbelt since mine does not always engage until you hit with a rubber mallet. Very annoying. And a 4pt was cheaper than buying a new oem from the dealer.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
Try rinsing your seatbelt's latching mechanism out with copious amounts of WD-40 which will flush out dirt, grime, etc. that is probably the reason for it not latching properly.

Finally, if thoroughly flushing the latching mechanism with WD-40 doesn't help, you can buy used OE 3-pt. seatbelts on eBay pretty inexpensively, I have bought two of them over the years that were in good condition and worked fine.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Ask a doctor, an ambulance driver, or a race car builder.
The 4 point belts are dangerous. In a crash the shoulder harness pulls the lap belt up around your stomach, smashing your guts, spleen etc. Lots of internal damage that can kill you!

5 points are better. The Sub strap keeps the lap belt around your hips, hips can take much more abuse.

Either one is a PITA, you won't use them.

Don't let the belts get dirty or oily - they collect grit that cuts the fibers when you need them the most.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Still have the Corbeau harnesses I bought in the box. One of those things I wish I had researched before buying! Don't think I'll ever use them. If the angle/height is not correct, they will compress your spine in an accident, which can be fatal.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
mine are correctly set up and i've had them in for so long now, i hate normal belts when i'm in a friends car. i've been pulled over in the jeep three times now, not one police officer has said anything about my harnesses. and it's not like they didn't notice because they're bright red and i have to slip out of them to grab my info out of my glove box.

not sure if they're legal or not, but the cops i've ran into don't seem to care.

·
Registered
1991 jeep YJ
8 Posts
mine are correctly set up and i've had them in for so long now, i hate normal belts when i'm in a friends car. i've been pulled over in the jeep three times now, not one police officer has said anything about my harnesses. and it's not like they didn't notice because they're bright red and i have to slip out of them to grab my info out of my glove box.

not sure if they're legal or not, but the cops i've ran into don't seem to care.
What state are you in?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts