Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My rig is a crawler at the moment, we happened to buy it built already, but I've always wanted an Overland rig. Well the in-laws decided they needed to buy the wife & I the Roof Top Tent we've been dreaming about, for our Anniversary. :bop:

Their budget for us is a flat $1500 and I have no idea where to start. What brands are better than others, etc?

I've seen the SmittyBilt at a local expo, so I'm familiar with the quality, so I started there.

Smittybilt Part TTJKU0716 - Smittybilt Tent Bundle - TTJKU0716-WS1

This meets their budget and provides (I think) everything I'll need, right?

Thoughts? Less expensive alternatives? Comparable alternatives? Would you buy this combo?

Reactions: PBJ Time

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
I'll give you some products to look at... In my opinion, the Smittybilt is lower on the quality list.

Mid quality:

Tepui
Cascadia Vehicle Tents
Front Runner

Top quality:

Eezi-Awn
Howling Moon
TJM
James Baroud

Tepui and CVT are very popular.

Reactions: FattyMcJ

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
@FattyMcJ

I just went back and looked at the Smitty combo you linked... That's hard to beat for that $$. :beerdrinking:

Reactions: FattyMcJ

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@FattyMcJ

I just went back and looked at the Smitty combo you linked... That's hard to beat for that $$. :beerdrinking:
Hey, thanks for all the info!

Yeah, I thought that price was pretty fair, but I wanted some other eyes on it to confirm, it comes with the ladder extension too, to sweeten the deal.

I called around and unfortunately everyone is back-ordered on the tents about a month out, including SmittybiltDepot.com, so I guess I'll have to wait no matter where I buy from.

·
Vendor
6,293 Posts
@FattyMcJ

I can do that for less than that link ($50 less). 1-2 weeks out according to my distributor at TAW. Let me know if you are interested. I missed this thread, otherwise the ARB Simpson III tent was $1450 and had a free annex tent through July 31st.

Have a great day!

Allen

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@FattyMcJ

I can do that for less than that link ($50 less). 1-2 weeks out according to my distributor at TAW. Let me know if you are interested. I missed this thread, otherwise the ARB Simpson III tent was $1450 and had a free annex tent through July 31st.

Have a great day!

Allen

:jawdrop:

I wish I'd have found you a few days ago. The in-laws went ahead with Smittybilt Depot.

If I can get them to cancel the order, I'll send them your link (I'd rather support a company that's active in the community).

Good looking out! :thumb:

·
Vendor
6,293 Posts
:jawdrop:

I wish I'd have found you a few days ago. The in-laws went ahead with Smittybilt Depot.

If I can get them to cancel the order, I'll send them your link (I'd rather support a company that's active in the community).

Good looking out! :thumb:
No worries. It's why I am here.

Take care,

Allen

·
Vendor
6,293 Posts
Just so you know, Smittybilt Depot is actually owned by 4wheelparts parent company.

Registrant Contact
Name:
TAP Worldwide, LLC
Organization:
TAP Worldwide, LLC
Street:
400 W ARTESIA BLVD
City:
COMPTON
State:
CA
Postal Code:
90220-5501
US
Phone:
+1.3109002644
Fax:
+1.231231234
Email:
[email protected]

They also own 4wd.com, Gowarn, and many others aside from owning Smittybilt themselves.

Just fun facts.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, for anyone that comes across this thread and hasn't decided yet, DO IT!

AOR posted a great deal, but you can't go wrong with this combo, from anywhere.

Overall, this is a no-brainer now that I have it. It works as expected and seems like it'll stand the test of time.

To start with, the rack/tent arrived before they said it would. Kudos to 4wp/SmittyBiltDepot for under-promising and over-delivering.

Install went smoother than I could have hoped for, and having the wife there to help lift/hold things was a huge time/energy saver.

Now on to the pics:

Rack installed, no tent yet. This gives a good idea of what the rack looks like with a fastback soft top (for anyone considering this rack):

First full-setup when we arrived:

Sun going down, just a beautiful shot of my little slice of heaven for the weekend.

Closer up of camp. I need to figure out a better awning setup, and the water situation a bit better, but this worked for now.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by.

:drinks:

·
Registered
536 Posts
Looks great. I am considering a RTT as well and will be needing the rack to hold it. How is this combo working for you now? Do you still like it? How is the rack holding up?

Thanks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks great. I am considering a RTT as well and will be needing the rack to hold it. How is this combo working for you now? Do you still like it? How is the rack holding up?

Thanks.
Well, I traded in the Jeep last Saturday (long story, transmission issues), but I did get a fair amount of use out of the rack & tent.

We loved them. Period. I don't think I'd have changed anything about the tent, nor the rack for that matter. It's simple and it works.

This is two weekends ago, Chinn's Lake CO - Elev. 10k+

Moab last year (it was damn cold)

Vail CO (unplanned)

So much so that we kept the tent and mounted it on our new 4Runner!

:bop:

Reactions: jp4me

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry to hear about the jeep, the 4runner looks good! I have the XL version of the smittybuilt and find it to be decent for the price. If i were to go back I would of probably got a roofnest hardshell. Just a little easier to pack up everyday if moving camp to camp

·
Registered
53 Posts
I stumbled on this year old thread. I am curious about the crossbars with the tent combo. Do you still need to have some sort of rack installed for the crossbars that come in the combo to work?

·
Vendor
6,293 Posts
I stumbled on this year old thread. I am curious about the crossbars with the tent combo. Do you still need to have some sort of rack installed for the crossbars that come in the combo to work?
According to the instructions: for tent only

The Smittybilt Overlander Tent is designed to mount easily on your stock roof rack
system or on an aftermarket rack/crossbar system. The Smittybilt Overlander Tent weights
only 118 lbs, so it can be mounted to most rack systems. Generally, most OE roof racks will
have a capacity of 100-200 lbs while vehicle is in motion(dynamic rating). However, when
the vehicle is parked and you are utilizing your Smittybilt Overlander Tent you are applying
a static load which is easier to support and most rack systems can generally handle this
static load with ease. Always check with the manufacturer of your vehicle and your roof rack
system to determine the applicable weight limitations as they vary from vehicle to vehicle.
If you need a roof rack system or more carrying capacity you may check with your
local supplier for Smittybilt, Thule, or Yakima racks to suit your needs.
Check local and state laws regarding roof mounted load capacities. Many states have
a limit of 165lbs while vehicle is in motion, and therefore most vehicle manufactures will
built their roof racks to meet that limit. The Smittybilt Overlander Tent weights only 118 lbs,
so it can be mounted to most rack systems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The combo is with the Barricade rack (you can find it from any number of resellers), so you can price them separate or together.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Cool threat and pics.
I’ll toss one additional brand into consideration for those just starting research: Iguana Tents
My neighbors have a handyman that helps out on larger projects. One time, he showed up in his Tacoma with the rooftop tent in place. Needless to say, I had to interrupt his work to BS a bit. Turned out he is a distributor.
A couple of months later, I ran into him at an overlanding event. It looks like decent gear.

https://www.facebook.com/iguanatents/
https://mkt.com/iguana-tents-and-equipment-llc

·
Registered
380 Posts
cool info!!
Plan is to order the LOD roof rack for my JKUR 12, as well as a RTT...2 Person camping at race tracks, and campgrounds; not really overlanding yet..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts