Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So years ago I bought a little 2011 2 Door JK Sport not realizing how inconvenient it could be with how little storage space it has. Today I have 4 door envy lol. Anyway, I'm planning on adding cargo rack above the spare tire which attaches to the tailgate.

So my question is would it be safe and okay to have an above the spare tire cargo rack, such as a Garvin Trail Rack AND, a hitch mounted cargo rack on a 2 Door JK with gear, at the same time? Has anyone done or seen this before? How did it work out for you?

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with it. They both have different connection points.... but I wonder if it's not overkill? You can fit an awful lot of cargo on a hitch rack. I use stacking rubbermaid bins on my rack and have as many as 8 of them on there and could easily and safely go 12.

The only downer with hitch racks is that the back door is unusable until the rack is off loaded.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't see anything wrong with it. They both have different connection points.... but I wonder if it's not overkill? You can fit an awful lot of cargo on a hitch rack. I use stacking rubbermaid bins on my rack and have as many as 8 of them on there and could easily and safely go 12.

The only downer with hitch racks is that the back door is unusable until the rack is off loaded.

View attachment 4418945
@Bob Sanders Wow that's a wide rack! What kind of rack is that?
My concern is mostly weight related. The spare tire cargo rack can support approx. 75lbs so basically a large cooler. The JK trailer hitch has a 200-lb tongue weight rating. I'm trying to spread load the weight between water, fuel, and misc camping gear.

I guess maybe on second thought a hitch rack may be all I need?

·
Registered
4,939 Posts

They of course sell them in the US too. Just make sure you get this size because it's PERFECT for rubbermaid stacking bins.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Regardless of what Garvin rates it to be, there is no way I’d put 75 lbs on that tailgate in addition to the weight of a spare tire- especially if you already have a larger than OEM tire on it.

But to answer your question about both racks, there is no problem with the theory other than to be cognizant of weight as a whole on the back end of the Jeep. Remember your tongue weight can’t go over 250 lbs (your hitch rack). Couple that to weight on the tailgate, and you have a lot on the rear axle in a non centralized fashion.

If I may, the approach you might think about is to determine all that you need tot are on a trip. Hen determine how it will be packed. And then determine your storage needs accordingly.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
I've been eyeing the Ruger trailers personally....
Trailers are great. We have one of those too. But there are times a trailer is too much and the weather/terrain won't permit. We have a cabin where the roads aren't plowed (noted in above pic). The snow isn't bad in the pic and we could probably do the trailer in a pinch, but it would be a pain. Any deeper though.... forget it.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Look at Space Trailers. We have had one since 2010. Use it for paddle boards and bikes on the rack. Inside stays fairly clean and dry. Have used it for things from trade show displays for work to compost to camping gear.
www.spacetrailers.com

·
Grumpy Old Guy
2,835 Posts
Harbor Freight makes an inexpensive hitch mount rack that is lightweight aluminum and has a railing around it that can be partially removed. It will not slide all the way forward as the railing hits the spare tire. Remove the front portion and you have an economical rack that will support 200+ pounds. My only advice is to protect all of it from adverse weather. Using Rubber maid bins that are not waterproof will ruin a trip pretty quickly. Consider getting a better protection in the Plano Sportsman boxes. I ahve tow that have 20k miles+ on them that I store on my roof rack. They are not waterproof, but mine ahve stayed dry in rain, mist, snow, hail, sleet and ice.

And s "cool" as the tailgate racks look, unless you have a better setup than the OEM hinges, I would not go that route.

This supports 500lbs, but your OEM hitch mount does not.

These are great

1 - 11 of 11 Posts