Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed my new racor lift in the garage. I Want to use ratchet straps but what length? I'll probably also use some extra ropes for safety also. What do you use to secure your hardtop to the racor with?

image-1135808625.jpg

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I think the shortest I recall seeing was about eight feet. Length depends on JK or JKU top. I have twelve as I recall and they're long for my JK hard top. How long to install?

·
Registered
517 Posts
First suggestion is to get a couple cheap pool noodles, you know the foam floats. Cut a slit in one side of each noodle and slide the noodle over the edge of the racor frame. You do not want those bolts that stick down to scratch the top of your hard top.

I did it a little different and maybe a little more difficult. I personally do not like having the tie down straps rubbing against any of the rubber seals, so I did not want to go that route.

I made large metal, flat hooks that I put under each corner of the top with heavy duty straps that are woven into the metal grid of the racor base. Each strap is roughly 5 feet long, including the excess on the top. The downside to this method is that I need to lift the top up to slide in my hooks. The top is a bit heavy so this can be a pain.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/just-finished-installing-racor-lift-for-hard-top-74362-5.html#post2347633

If you do go with the tie down straps I would suggest using cardboard or carpet scraps to pad where the straps rub against the top/rubber seals. Most tie-downs should be plenty long to go front to back or even criss-cross.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. I've seen the pool noodles things and I might do that as a cheap way of preventing scratches and scrapes.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I used those picnic table seat pads that look like flattened pool noodles. Bought one and cut it into pieces for the four strap contact points. Made from the same material as pool noodles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I found the harbor freight 15 foot ones worked well. They were rated for 400lbs and I think I picked them up in sale for 9.99 for a set of 4 (only used 2) I've seen others use those 4-5" wide straps rated for thousands of pounds but it seems like a bit of overkill if you ask me and I'm usually overly cautions. I'd recommend the pool noodle trick on the 2 sides to cover the bolts, if you slice a line middle of 2 of them and wire tie them up your off and running. I'd recommend weaving your straps through the grid a bit. My first shot they sagged a bit off the rack (not much) just enough to bug me. The weaving kept it nice and tight. Forgive the photo as there is a 2X2 ceiling tile missing. I had tried a motorized mount that I had recessed and trashed a ceiling tile in the process. The rancor just worked out better for my application.

image-2275488077.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Same Question: What Straps To Buy

I just installed a Racor Ceiling Lift and was going to ask for strap suggestions. Has anyone actually answered that with specifics? What brand, width, length and attachment system works well? What's the best way to attach the straps to the hoist? Do you just make a continuous loop around the platform and the hard top and ratchet it tight? I appreciate the pool noodle suggestions to prevent scratching.

Also, another post showed placing a small 2x4 underneath the L bracket at both ends of the actual rotating bar. What does that do? Does that metal L bracket actually bend or move without reinforcement? I currently only have 2x4s beneath the long support arms that I had to use because my celing trusses were oriented the wrong direction.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
517 Posts
Also, another post showed placing a small 2x4 underneath the L bracket at both ends of the actual rotating bar. What does that do? Does that metal L bracket actually bend or move without reinforcement? I currently only have 2x4s beneath the long support arms that I had to use because my celing trusses were oriented the wrong direction.

Thanks!
If you watch the metal bracket as you raise the platform you will see the metal twist and sag. If you read through the post I linked to, someone actually had their drive gear shatter. Not sure if it is related to this sag/twist, but a small piece of 2x4 under each side eliminates the sag and twist. I would recommend drilling another hole through the metal brackets as close to the edge as possible so you can secure the bracket to the 2x4.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Schirmyver, do you think it will still work if that small 2x4 doesn't screw into my ceiling truss? Where I positioned the metal bracket doesn't line up with the trusses. I would basically have the bracket screwed to the wood that is just against the drywall.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have three 10' straps holding my 2 door top. Pool noodles are ok, or just grab some pipe insulation at your local Lowes, Home Depot type place.

straps.jpg

·
Registered
221 Posts
I don't have pics but I use HF lifting straps hooked to the eye of the eyebolts with carabiners. I route the strap through the rear door opening and back window, it balances better for me than when I strapped it around the front.The top hangs about six inches below the shelf so padding isn't necessary and there is no stress on the shelf.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the shortest I recall seeing was about eight feet. Length depends on JK or JKU top. I have twelve as I recall and they're long for my JK hard top. How long to install?
About 2 hours by myself. Was super easy really.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts