Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I recently picked up a 2007 JKU Sahara and started noticing something going on with the engine cooling system. The other day we noticed what appeared to be the Jeep overheating, after only a 20-30 minute drive. I started searching on here and found a bunch of articles and threads relating to fan issues. This weekend I started going through the common items one by one and at this point think it is time to post it up for some feedback. The Jeep is newer to me, so still trying to understand how the fan should be working.

We initially did not notice the fan running at all, but it might have and just never noticed it. Went through and replaced/checked the following:

What I replaced/checked thus far:
-Replaced 60 Amp J19 fuse under hood
-Replaced Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
-Replaced relay behind drivers side headlight
-Swapped relay in with fuses under dash (near J19 fuse)

What the current symptoms are thus far:
-Fan definitely now runs on and off while vehicle is sitting it driveway after reaching temperature (runs for probably a few minutes, then shuts off...turns back on for a few minutes, then shuts off)
-Fan does not run while A/C is turned on (should it definitely run while A/C is on?)

Is there anything else I should be looking for or does everything sound normal at this point? It is getting a bit cooler now in New England, so trying to prevent a potential overheating issue on a long drive/hot day if possible.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Well, mine is a 2014, so not sure about your year, but if you get a hand tuner, you may be able to adjust the temp at which the fan comes on.

I made major changes to mine as the fan Med and High setting were not coming on till 239 degrees!!

I would try that , as you'l see other benefits of a hand tuner as well!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Well, mine is a 2014, so not sure about your year, but if you get a hand tuner, you may be able to adjust the temp at which the fan comes on.

I made major changes to mine as the fan Med and High setting were not coming on till 239 degrees!!

I would try that , as you'l see other benefits of a hand tuner as well!

what tuner did you get?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Check your radiator cap with a pressure tester. You need an 18 psi cap to let the temp. come up high enough to turn on the fan. If your cap does not maintain 18 psi you will over heat because the sensors will not turn the fan on to HIGH speed. At idle you were getting a low speed fan. Normal stock cap is an 18 pounder. I luckily found the answer to my overheating by just reading on here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts