Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 JKU, rad drain plug turns CCW but how far? It turns 90 deg but then hard to turn by hand, I don't want break It.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,836 Posts
Honestly I'd remove the lower radiator hose from the radiator. I broke one, once, that's all the convincing I needed.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I busted them in other trucks and cars I just didn't want to put Jeep on the list. Thanks I think I'll go that route.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Haven't tried the drain plug on a JK, but on my older WJ you turned it 90 degrees and then pulled it out a bit it to start the drain.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
It's supposed to go 180 ccw. The last 90 is hard. I've not tried it but have watched some utube videos where they did that.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hah! Just fought that battle myself, yesterday. I have ended up with that plug in my hand before, so I dropped the hoses too.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
I've always used needle nose pliers to turn the drain plug because of its tight location and never had any issues. I've had to drain the radiator twice in the past 4.5 years.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I replaced my radiator yesterday and discovered what a piece of junk the drain is. Even after I got it opened it wouldn't drain. It must have been clogged up. Do what demar said and pop the lower hose off.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
just did the water pump on my 2014. even with a new rad, the drain plug is a PITA to go full 180. Ended up pulling lower rad hose.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts