Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'98 4.0 with 127k

I noticed that my Jeep was leaking coolant everywhere and determined the WP is bad. its got 127k on it and never been done. I also noticed when that the radiator fan is wobbling all over the place when running. Will a new water pump correct this? I also plan on replacing the fan (its rusty) and the clutch. Not sure if that will do the trick.

Also, do the 98s have a water pump pulley? If so should that be replaced too?

I figure since I have it all apart it......

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
'98 4.0 with 127k

I noticed that my Jeep was leaking coolant everywhere and determined the WP is bad. its got 127k on it and never been done. I also noticed when that the radiator fan is wobbling all over the place when running. Will a new water pump correct this? I also plan on replacing the fan (its rusty) and the clutch. Not sure if that will do the trick.

I figure since I have it all apart it......

Thanks.
Yes new wp will fix the wobble in the fan. As for the pulley I'm not sure on the 98 hope this helps:thumb:

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
Pulley should be part of the water pump.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I believe the pulley from your old water pump is supposed to be transferred to your new water pump. It's usually four bolts that hold it on. Otherwise you have to buy the pulley separately, it does not usually come with the new pump.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I believe the pulley from your old water pump is supposed to be transferred to your new water pump.
After the pump is installed.

In almost 25 years of operating vehicles with the 4.0L engine, the only show-stopper failure that I have experienced was due to a cracked water pump pulley. But that was with a former design that featured a stamped lip on the front of the pulley.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
The parts store won't think so.

That would be entirely dependent on the source of said wobble.

That should cover all the bases.
Lol true forgot to say that but most Lilkely his problem is from the wp being bad

·
Registered
89 Posts
Have you checked the radiator fan clutch?

When my fan clutch failed it allowed the fan to wobble enough to put to large gouges in my radiator.

I would say make sure to check this as well, I believe the procedure is to try to spin the fan by hand, it shouldn't rotate more than once.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
New Developments.....

The fan blade does not spin more than half a turn when spun. Good news there.

Now some follow up questions...

The instructions I found in a search from other posts on the WP replacement is for the 00 up models.

How do I...

Loosen the serp belt, I don't think the 98 has an auto belt tensioner?

Once the serp belt is off how does the fan and clutch come off? I removed 3 of the 4 nuts on the pulley and stopped as I wasn't sure how it all came apart. I also found out that you can't remove the fan shroud without first removing the fan and clutch.

When I removed the lower radiator hose from the radiator there was what looked like a spring in the hose??

What do I do with the smaller lines running to the bottom of the radiator? I removed one and red fluid came out. I'm guessing AT cooling? Can I let that drain or should I plug it up? Anything to do when I install the new radiator with those lines?

I'm a complete wannabe mechanic but love doing things myself.

·
Registered
89 Posts
On my 94 ZJ I6 (same engine provided you don't have an auto tensioner)

On the right bottom side of the power steering pump there should be a long bolt, this adjust the tension by moving the pump closer and farther from the engine. Before adjusting this there are two bolts on the back side of the power steering that HAVE to be loosened first.

The smaller lines: the one with the red fluid is AT fluid ( a pair) and there should also be a set for engine oil cooler.

As for the fan clutch, yes undo those four nuts that attach it to the water pump. Undo the fan shroud and lift the fan and shroud together.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do I just plug up the AT fluid lines? Do I need to add AT fluid when I put in the new radiator?

Any idea what that spring (looks like one) is in the lower radiator hose?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
You'll want to plug the lines so dirt and garbage don't get in them. As for adding fluid I'm not sure how much you'll have to add but you will have to add a little after radiator replacement. The spring you see in the hose is there to keep the hose from collapsing and to help it hold it's form.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does anyone have a picture of the bolts I need to loosen on the power steering pump before I loosen that long one? Or can someone explain in more detail which bolts? Again its a 98 4.0. Thanks.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of the bolts I need to loosen on the power steering pump before I loosen that long one? Or can someone explain in more detail which bolts? Again its a 98 4.0. Thanks.
you dont need to touch the power steering pump, loosen the center bolt on the idler just below the power steering pulley, then looking at the p/s pump bracket at the 10 oclock position is a bolt head ,turn that counterclockwise, it will allow the idler pulley to drop thus loosening the belt, and why are you pulling the radiator to change a waterpump ???

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just finished. You need to loosen the bolt on the lower pulley then the long bolt at the 10 o'clock position to slide the pulley and loosen the tension. The water pump will then slide out from behind where the power steering pump overlaps the water pump.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts