Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Normally I am a searcher before I ask but for some stupid reason my app keeps saying error and parse report every time I try and search.
Anyway the problem: my fan will not turn off. It keeps running when I shift through the gears it usually does this after I have been driving for a while, turn her off and then back on. But it would only do it for the first couple gears. Now it stays on all the time thru all the gears. Any ideas???

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one???

·
Knows a couple things...
49,624 Posts
That sounds like your fan's mechanical/viscous clutch has seized. The clutch works by temperature so when the engine is hot, the viscous coupling inside the clutch thickens so it couples the fan to the engine. When the engine is cold, the coupling relaxes so the fan doesn't spin as hard. I'd replace the fan clutch.

By the way, the fan clutch needs to be stored on its side, not laying flat. So if you buy a new clutch and don't install it right away, make sure to keep it in its box sitting on its side.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jerry!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok problem. How do I keep the belt/wheel from spinning when trying to loosen fan clutch bolt? Quick response is GREATLY appreciated!

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Use a strap wrench. If you need one, I have one you can borrow.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
You need at lest a 12-13 inch wrench so when it is vertical, it clears the top of the fan shroud. Give it a good fast whack with a hammer towards the passenger side.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. Ended up just needing a bigger/better hammer! Got her off, new one on and no more problems!

When I disconnected the hose from the radiator a little RC sediment was mixed with the radiator fluid! That might be a sign that I need to flush some things out!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts