Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was talking on The phone, and i am working on a old bronco and my 08 jku i grabbed the bottle of green antifreeze and put a half cup of it in my radiator before i realized what i had done. I have not started the car since doing this. Do i need to flush the radiator? Was the amount i put in so little it will be fine ? Since i didn't start vehicle will a radiator only flush be fine to correct issue?

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I don't think you will find anyone here willing to guaranty bad things won't happen with just a 1/2 cup of green if that's what you're looking for.

IMO... it'll be a hell of a lot cheaper to flush and start over again rather than taking a chance and possibly failing at it. You will sleep better at night too.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
Do you know anything more than simply it was "green" ? There are some generic antifreeze solutions which are claimed to be universal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If it was a universal any make any model green, it would probably be okay. Me? I would drain that quick. I am anal. Draining the radiator from the petcock valve should be all you need if you have not started the vehicle. I wouldn't run the vehicle at all during the radiator flush. Simply drain, fill the radiator with water until it is up to the filler neck, open it up and let it all drain. Then, fill the radiator back up with the proper fluid. Correct me if I am wrong but I think the 08 takes HOAT coolant. Zerex G-05 or the MOPAR HOAT stuff will do.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Like previously mentioned, I would drain it out. This is the coolant I use in my vehicles. You could use it in your Bronco and your Jeep.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
If it was a universal any make any model green, it would probably be okay. Me? I would drain that quick. I am anal. Draining the radiator from the petcock valve should be all you need if you have not started the vehicle. I wouldn't run the vehicle at all during the radiator flush. Simply drain, fill the radiator with water until it is up to the filler neck, open it up and let it all drain. Then, fill the radiator back up with the proper fluid. Correct me if I am wrong but I think the 08 takes HOAT coolant. Zerex G-05 or the MOPAR HOAT stuff will do.
Actually that's not true. It's the mixing of conventional antifreeze (green) with organic antifreeze which causes the worst sludge damage.

8. What happens if you mix conventional Antifreeze with Extended Life antifreeze?
Extended Life (OAT) antifreeze is NOT compatible with conventional (IAT) antifreeze. Aside from discoloration of antifreeze when the two are mixed together, a chemical reaction is caused when the carboxylate salts are mixed with the inorganic salts and caustics found in conventional antifreeze. If they are mixed, the antifreeze can become cloudy, precipitation can generate and the coolant will lose it’s extended life properties.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
I am not an expert, but when I read the label on, say, Prestone, I see statements like:
  • Works with any color antifreeze.
  • Won’t void your warranty.
  • When used as directed, may be added to any color antifreeze/coolant (color may change, but performance will not be affected).

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I am not an expert, but when I read the label on, say, Prestone, I see statements like:
  • Works with any color antifreeze.
  • Won’t void your warranty.
  • When used as directed, may be added to any color antifreeze/coolant (color may change, but performance will not be affected).
I think that's the yellow they're talking about. It's not the same as the green.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Actually that's not true. It's the mixing of conventional antifreeze (green) with organic antifreeze which causes the worst sludge damage.

Hey Bob, you are right - but I never mentioned any sludging. I was just saying I am anal. I am sure the OP could leave an "any make any model" in there with zero issues. Thank you, though.

·
Registered
649 Posts
So i was talking on The phone, and i am working on a old bronco and my 08 jku i grabbed the bottle of green antifreeze and put a half cup of it in my radiator before i realized what i had done. I have not started the car since doing this. Do i need to flush the radiator? Was the amount i put in so little it will be fine ? Since i didn't start vehicle will a radiator only flush be fine to correct issue?
I'm not a chemical pro.. however, think about this 1/2 cup is about 4 oz.. the coolant capacity of the system is 13 qts for 3.8L... what % is this unknown coolant of the system - my guess is it would not effect the system.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Probably nothing bad, but you can easily drain just the rad and replenish with correct coolant just to be safe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts