Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to replace a leaking worm gear clamp on the top hose of my radiator. It's a 2000 TJ, 4.0 litre. For the life of me I can't figure out the correct Mopar part numbers for the the two clamps on this hose. One schematic even shows a worm gear clamp which I don't think is right.
I'm probably going to order online so I want the correct part number so I won't get the wrong clamps. Can anyone provide me these part numbers. it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I believe they are all Mopar 55037990AA. That's the only radiator clamp listed in the 2000 TJ Parts Manual.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw that and that was part of my confusion. I found one online Mopar parts site that listed the schematic and it indicated both clamps on the top hose were the same. The part number indicated matched what you sent so that's what I ordered. Guess we will see.

·
Super Moderator
11,075 Posts
Why not drive to your local auto parts store. They'll have a listing for the clamps. You can try them on your Jeep before driving off the lot. If, for any reason they don't fit, you can walk back into the store and return the wrong size and get the correct size.
If you currently have your radiator out, you can take the clamps to the store and match them up to new ones.

Did your 2000 TJ come from the factory with worm gear clamps or did it originally come with spring clamps (constant tension band clamps)?

If you're having leaking issues, I'd remove the hose and examine it for a leak. The worm gear clamps rarely fail on their own. Either the clamp was overtightened or it got bumped.

Even better than worm gear clamps are T-bolt clamps. Radiator hose clamps are relatively cheap. Always buy the best you can find that properly fits your application.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: OldBarn

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Constant tension clamps are far superior to worm gear clamps and are especially important on a tj's plastic radiator

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have ordered the constant tension clamps. The schematic I saw online indicated both ends of the top hose use the same size clamp. The Gates replacement hose indicates the inner diameter of one end of the hose is a 1/4 inch bigger. Will the same size clamp work on both ends?

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
They have a range... best I can remember I think the tj uses 3 of one size... both top and radiator side of bottom and 1 bigger one on the water pump outlet....

I am def not certain about that.... I changed the rad in my 97 4 days ago but I changed the rad in my 99 chevy the next day and tore the exhaust system and manifolds off my gmc the next so it's a little fuzzy already lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts