Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My radiator is cracked and leaking on my 02 TJ 6 cylinder. I did a search but found conflicting answers. I want to make sure this is the correct amount of fluid for a brand new radiator in this year model.

I will need 10.5 quarts of the Zerex G05 fluid, correct?

Also, my local parts store only has the 50/50 mix. Is that okay to use for a brand new radiator? Or do I need to really buy the concentration version?

TIA

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Yeah that sounds about right. I think I bought two jugs of it when I did mine and had extra leftover.

I put 50/50 in my new radiator, no issues.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am needing this fixed rather quickly, so I was going to get one at the local parts store. Should I wait and get an OEM one online or will others suffice? I don't want to be replacing this thing every few years when this one in it lasted forever it seems. I'm torn on what to do.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Zerex G05 fits spec and it's what I use. Coolant should be HOAT type, which it is... and 50/50 is fine. You can save money by buying the concentrated version and cutting it with distilled water.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Also... be sure to burp the radiator when topping it off.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Should I wait and get an OEM one online or will others suffice?
OEM is the best but I've been running a CarQuest version of the OE radiator for a number of years with no problems. Mixed reviews with aftermarket radiators, results may vary.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
OEM from what I've read online. No experience with any of the after market ones besides the one I had to replace that the PO put in my jeep. I think the stamp on it said it was about 3 years old.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ordered an OEM from rock auto. Should be here Thursday, so my Jeep won't be down for too long.

And how is best to burp the system after install? I will be having a friend help me, but I want to make sure to do it correctly just in case he doesn't know ;)

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Jeep idling while filling with coolant... top rad with coolant and let it run with the rad cap off. The system will occasionally force air out via bubbles which will "burp" up through your radiator fill hole. Add small amounts of coolant after each burp and wait for it to burp again. Repeat until there are no more burps. I use one of these so it doesn't make a mess while I'm doing it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I40ZQWE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: Jessica08
1 - 10 of 10 Posts