Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never seen this before. It got down to 26 last night and this morning I noticed antifreeze on the ground. I tracked the leak to the seams on top of the radiator. The antifreeze was all around this seam. I drove it for a while and the antifreeze seemed to dry up and the leak stopped. Where you see the red arrows is where it was all around the top.

So...????
Do I need a new radiator?
Does antifreeze loose it's "anti" freeze properties and expand when cold? I the jeep used so I'm not sure if it's ever been changed.
Would changing/flushing help?

Any other ideas?

Thanks for any input.

Attachments

·
Registered
783 Posts
Couple of ideas I would start with. With engine cold, wash area. See if it comes back. If it does, get a light and mirror and you should be able to trace the leakage path. Do you smell coolant when engine hot. Check the Radiator hoses to radiator make sure they are not leaking. Observe coolant level on recovery bottle with engine cold.
And to answer your questions, changing and flushing wont help. Recommend you change the radiator, the cold weather only makes things worse.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
No ifs or ands, you need a new radiator. Very easy to replace.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Is this a hard fix? How do I know which radiator to order. Some come with or without engine or transmission oil cooler. How do I know which I need?

Thanks again.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,621 Posts
The transmission cooler option is needed when you have an automatic transmission which routes its ATF through that cooler. For a manual transmission that doesn't need or use the cooler, you can go with either type radiator... has or does not have that aux cooler. All TJs come from the factory with radiators with the aux cooler whether it is needed for an automatic or not.

I'd go for an OE radiator which is a single row all-aluminum core design. Where a TJ is concerned, a 1 row core is more efficient at cooling than a 2 or 3 row design is which is why the factory switched from a 2 row to a 1 row core around 2001.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Well that's not good news mine is doing the same seems to only do it in the cold though. Guess a new radiator is needed for me as well

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jerry Bransford said:
The transmission cooler option is needed when you have an automatic transmission which routes its ATF through that cooler. For a manual transmission that doesn't need or use the cooler, you can go with either type radiator... has or does not have that aux cooler. All TJs come from the factory with radiators with the aux cooler whether it is needed for an automatic or not.

I'd go for an OE radiator which is a single row all-aluminum core design. Where a TJ is concerned, a 1 row core is more efficient at cooling than a 2 or 3 row design is which is why the factory switched from a 2 row to a 1 row core around 2001.
Thank you. What about the Engine Oil Cooler? Do I have one? I have a 5 speed transmission so I understand I don't need the transmission oil cooler.

Here is what I found on the web. Please post the link you think I should get. Thank you again.
Radiator - Auto Parts Warehouse

Also, is the arrow pointing to the engine oil cooler or the transmission oil cooler.

Attachments

·
Knows a couple things...
49,621 Posts
Automotive engines don't typically have oil coolers, our Jeep Wrangler engines don't either. I've never had an engine with an oil cooler other than my old air-cooled '66 VW beetle. Your red arrow is pointing to the a/c condenser. I don't know any of those radiators, they aren't listed by brand, so I can't make a recommendation. Personally I'd go get one from the Jeep dealer and just push them for a discount. That way you know you're getting good quality, something you can't be sure of with no-name radiators. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Automotive engines don't typically have oil coolers, our Jeep Wrangler engines don't either. I've never had an engine with an oil cooler other than my old air-cooled '66 VW beetle. Your red arrow is pointing to the a/c condenser. I don't know any of those radiators, they aren't listed by brand, so I can't make a recommendation. Personally I'd go get one from the Jeep dealer and just push them for a discount. That way you know you're getting good quality, something you can't be sure of with no-name radiators. :)
LOL, I was way off. AC condenser, got it. Thank you for all the info. You should get paid for this. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Automotive engines don't typically have oil coolers, our Jeep Wrangler engines don't either. I've never had an engine with an oil cooler other than my old air-cooled '66 VW beetle.
In fact, there are a number of modern vehicles that feature engine oil coolers. They often feature horizontal-flow radiators, with a transmission cooler in one side and an engine oil cooler in the other side.

Here is what I found on the web.
If you don't want to spend a lot, you can get a radiator from Advance for around $100 if you order it online and use a discount code. They are nothing outstanding, but they do fit, work well and have a life-time guarantee if it ever does spring a leak.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You you guys recommend changing the water pump since everything is out of the way for it. My jeep is a 99 with 116,000 I have only had it for a few months and do not know if it's ever been changed. A water pump isn't too pricey but is the hassle worth it to wait.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,621 Posts
With 119K miles, I'd definitely also install a new OE water pump and 195 degree thermostat since it'll be an easy job while the radiator is out. I'd avoid any of the cheap Autozone type water pumps which are shoddy at best.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Ya, just remember, dont put the thermostat in backwards, and you might want to get new engine to radiator hoses, and .... did I miss anything?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, so I'm a fix it cheap guy. I'm thinking about using JB Weld on the seams. Will it work or will it screw up something? Metal shrinks when cold so I'm thinking it "pulls" apart? Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
jb weld won't work on that..if you are trying to get by as cheap as possible but at the same time have it fixed then check prices for a cheap radiator..advance or where ever it was that is mentioned earlier and don't worry about replacing everything else until you need to

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jb weld won't work on that..if you are trying to get by as cheap as possible but at the same time have it fixed then check prices for a cheap radiator..advance or where ever it was that is mentioned earlier and don't worry about replacing everything else until you need to
Ok. Why won't it work? Not picking a debate, just trying to learn. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
it worked on the split because you were able to get to the entire damaged area..with the leak in the seam you can not get to the entire area..the radiator has a rubber gasket sandwiched between the core and end cap with ears on the core folded over the lip on the cap making it near impossible to cover all the areas without disassembly..in years past I have had these rubber gaskets replaced in radiators but these days it might cost as much or more to have that done than just replacing the radiator

1 - 19 of 19 Posts