Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the deal. I bought a 16 JKUHR and it is my daily driver. I love this machine but the radiator is completely exposed! 2 days ago on my way to work a small owl swooped down from no where and bang, tagged the front left corner of my grill. I freaked out and imedietly pulled over fearing the bird had damaged the radiator. Fortunately all is well with the jeep but not the poor little owl. Bottom line what is the best grill/radiator protection? Should I go with just a wire insert or full out with something g like the Spartan grill?
All imput is appriciated.
Thanks. Rob

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
It all depends on how much you want to spend. Some will say that the Metalcrafters grill insert at just under $300 is the best. There are many other options to choose from ranging in price and style. Others like the do it yourself approach and use some gutter guard or other mesh. I went with a JWM matte black insert and couldn't be happier.

·
Premium Member
6,897 Posts
I have the Metalcrafters. It fits like a glove. I found it on Craigslist for somewhat less expensive than the regular price from someone who sold his Jeep and had never installed it. I'm not sure if I would have paid the normal $289.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
The Metalcrafters was money that was well spent for my JK. I've had it on almost 6 yrs. and it still looks like new. There are a lot of options. Choose the one that fits what you prefer to spend.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It all depends on how much you want to spend. Some will say that the Metalcrafters grill insert at just under $300 is the best. There are many other options to choose from ranging in price and style. Others like the do it yourself approach and use some gutter guard or other mesh. I went with a JWM matte black insert and couldn't be happier.
+1, love my JWM insert

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts
So here's the deal. I bought a 16 JKUHR and it is my daily driver. I love this machine but the radiator is completely exposed! 2 days ago on my way to work a small owl swooped down from no where and bang, tagged the front left corner of my grill. I freaked out and imedietly pulled over fearing the bird had damaged the radiator. Fortunately all is well with the jeep but not the poor little owl. Bottom line what is the best grill/radiator protection? Should I go with just a wire insert or full out with something g like the Spartan grill?
All imput is appriciated.
Thanks. Rob
Rob,

We have a few different Grille Inserts on the site that can add protection to your rad. Let me know if you're interested in any of them and I'll get you a quote!

-Ryan

·
Registered
801 Posts
tons of options out there, it just depends on how much you want to spend and the look you are going for. I did the gutter guard mod on my old JKU and it looked great. When I traded up to a 15 I went with the JWM and love that as well.

Look around at all the options and you will find one

·
Registered
80 Posts
tons of options out there, it just depends on how much you want to spend and the look you are going for. I did the gutter guard mod on my old JKU and it looked great. When I traded up to a 15 I went with the JWM and love that as well.

Look around at all the options and you will find one
Good advice. I'm gonna check out the JWM myself. I hand washed the jeep today, and made a point of closely inspecting the radiator looking for any signs of possible damage after 4 months/2,000 mi of ownership, and it looks like new, but added protection would be great as the radiator really does stick out as a beacon up front and can't imagine somewhere down the road it getting exposed to something catastrophic possibly happening.

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
another vote for jwm. I've had mine over a year with no issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts