Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This issue is I can't seem to keep anti-freeze in my radiator. No leaks that I can find, but it's going some where. Checked the Oil about 20 times so far and it's not showing up there. I'm currently breaking in a new engine so this makes it even more worrisome for me. Was wondering if anyone could help me brain storm this issue. My thought are it's leaking somewhere and evaporating, so it's not leaving a drop to find. Nothing dripping on the ground either. But I'm having to add fluid after every 2nd trip that's 30 miles or more. About 2 quarts so that seems signification to me. Jeep temp is running around 210 and above, but hasn't over heated, just much hotter than I want while trying to break in a engine.

·
Registered
901 Posts
First thought was water pump but no spots on the ground? Crawl under and see if it's wet underneath. Use a flashlight. Any fluid sprayed under hood? Radiator cap? Just thinking out loud about my experiences.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pressure Tester... I can get one of those tomorrow and give it a go. As far as fluid, I've found none. Not on the ground, not around the thermo housing, not around the water pump. I'll pressure test tomorrow and see what I can find out. I'm not a big fan of bars leak, but what are your thoughts about it. I'd rather find and fix the problem, but obviously there's a problem. Thanks for the help and if you think of anything else please post it up.

·
Registered
100 Posts
first off NEVER i mean NEVER use stop leak in anything you give two sh*ts about you WILL regret it... Your cooling system may have air in it from just putting it togeather and thats perfectly fine it may stop disapearing in a short while. its still not a bad idea to test it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a similar issue and couldnt find a leak. So try this run the jeep up to temp then shut it off and pop the hood. Listen for hissing. It turns out I had a small crack in the rad that was letting out steam but I never had any sign of a leak. It was so small, eventually it grew and I found it. So just a thought.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It could be working out trapped air in the system. Your engine could be burning it. If it is being burned in a cylinder it wouldn't show up in the oil. Any white smoke?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a similar issue and couldnt find a leak. So try this run the jeep up to temp then shut it off and pop the hood. Listen for hissing. It turns out I had a small crack in the rad that was letting out steam but I never had any sign of a leak. It was so small, eventually it grew and I found it. So just a thought.
ding ding ding we have a winner! Hey thank you guys all so much for the ideas. Pressure checked the system this morning and indeed it was leaking. So started up the jeep and while it was warming up started checking the hoses and around the thermostat housing and pump again for the umpteenth time. When it finally started getting hot started hearing a hiss sound, that was very faint. Turned off the jeep and kept listening and sure enough, right where the grill and the radiator meet at the top there was some bubbles coming out of it like boiling water. It looks to be right on the seam at the top of the radiator on the left hand side if you're facing the front of the jeep. Also had some bubble coming out from under the cap. So, because it's on the seam, do you think it could be welded? I can't see a crack, but it must be there right? Anyway, went and bought a new cap for the radiator cost me about 5 bucks. Wish I could weld.. something I keep telling myself I'm going to learn to do. What do you think a fair price is?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
when you replace it you don't have to pull the bottom bolts all the way out. Just loosen them and lift the radiator out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay cool.. I'll look into a new radiator. Hopefully not to expensive. Getting it out shouldn't be a problem.. just got done removing and rebuilding then engine, so I'm acquainted with the front of my jeep very well.. Thanks for the info...

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Okay cool.. I'll look into a new radiator. Hopefully not to expensive. Getting it out shouldn't be a problem.. just got done removing and rebuilding then engine, so I'm acquainted with the front of my jeep very well.. Thanks for the info...

Ha! so you already know. I learned the hard way. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts