Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 wrangler unltd sport.
I notice the other day my engine coolant reservoir was about empty. I had the radiator pressure tested, no leaks were found. Filled up the reservoir and I have not seen anymore steam from the radiator since. What I am curious about is why my radiator cap is not hot. My temp gauge hasn't gone above halfway, ever.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Ensure the engine is COLD; remove the radiator cap and check the coolant level. It should be just about to the bottom of the filler neck.
When the engine has been run at operating temperature for a while, and shut off.... The engine cools and pressure is relieved; the radiator cap will break vacuum and siphon in coolant from the overflow reservoir to fill any voids. If there is not sufficient coolant; then air will be introduced into the cooling system and radiator.
The question is... where did the coolant go that was supposed to be in the reservoir.
Has the coolant been drained and replaced recently?
Did you have a radiator hose go bad recently?
Are there any signs of a coolant leak?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, no signs of any leaking. Haven't had anything go bad or wrong either, which is why I'm puzzled! Called a jeep dealer and they said that the cap and radiator does not necessarily have to be hot and if it passed a pressure test then there is not much they would be able to do for me...

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Prior to this, when was the last time you checked the level of the coolant in the reservoir?

When I bought my '15 the coolant level was at "max" but I could hear the whoosh/gurgle of air still being in the cooling system from when it was built (I bought it with < 100 miles on it). It took going off-road with some steep uphill climbs to get the air all the way to the radiator and out, after that my reservoir was down to about 1/4 full or so. No more whoosh or sounds of air in the cooling system, had the dealer top the reservoir off and it's been fine since.

So, if no leaks were found then just monitor the level. It could've been a situation like mine and the cooling system finally burped the air out, in which case your level shouldn't change anymore.

If you end up with low coolant again then it's definitely going somewhere and I would make sure the dealer keeps it documented, there's no reason for the coolant level to drop like that without it going somewhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts