Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will a 2.5 radiator cool a 4.0 or do i need a rad for a 4.0

·
Registered
717 Posts
Possibly`

Somewhat depends on a lot of other factors. If the 2.5 radiator is from an A/C equipped vehicle with Automatic transmission and going into a vehicle with a 4.0 but no A/C and manual, then it might.

I believe that the lightest duty radiator that would be practical would be a 2 core radiator. My 2.5L/Man/No A/C is a 1 core radiator and I didn't have any problem pulling the 29' self contained trailer in the summer in SD/MN. But that was at highway speed (70 mph) and that moves a LOT of air across the radiator.

It is at low speed when working that it will show up the most. Heat is one of the worst culprits for damage so too light a radiator is not advisable except in an emergency.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
on ebay if u pull up 4.0 radiators it says it fits 2.5,2.4,4.2,and 4.0

·
Registered
56 Posts
Autozone has the same radiator listed for both engines. But like Ballistx said, there are a lot of things to consider.

·
Registered
717 Posts
again - depends

I see you are from Alabama, Hot and Humid. Both are anti-cooling. Another consideration.

If you are going to use it agressively off roading, you probably want to explore a metal tank instead of the typical pressed on plastic.

You can compensate somewhat for too small radiator by increasing air flow with a heavy duty electric fan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts