Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, so I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X with all stock and bare bone components as far as the sound goes. Recently it has begun cutting in and out at complete random, doesn't matter about type of terrain I driving on or speed or type of use for the radio. Itll cut out and turn completely off, turning the Jeep on and off again does not fix the issue and then randomly itll come back again as if there was no issue what so ever. Any thoughts or ideas on what this could be?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Sounds like it's time for a new head unit. If the issue doesn't go away when turning the vehicle on and off, something is defective in the head unit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do you have a hard top? It sounds silly as hell but I had the exact same problem with my radio. Turned out the harness for the hard top was loose and every time it moved, the radio cut in and out. Drove me nuts for about 3 days before I remembered the radio would cut out when I plug/unplug the hard top. Sure enough, that was it.

Hello everyone, so I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X with all stock and bare bone components as far as the sound goes. Recently it has begun cutting in and out at complete random, doesn't matter about type of terrain I driving on or speed or type of use for the radio. Itll cut out and turn completely off, turning the Jeep on and off again does not fix the issue and then randomly itll come back again as if there was no issue what so ever. Any thoughts or ideas on what this could be?

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
I had that issue with my 430 in my 2008 T&C for a while when it was new. I received an update CD from Chrysler and after I processed the update, it never occurred again in the next 6 years I owned it. If you have the 430 and bought the Jeep new, you should have gotten an update CD. If you bought it new, you might want to check with the dealership.

I actually thought it was a loose power connection somewhere, for the entire display go go blank. I remember on time it went out and I left it over night and the next morning it was still out. I thought I would take it in that evening, but at lunch it was just fine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for the replies, I decided it was simply a sign that I should just go ahead and get a new head unit as I have been eyeing a few for awhile. Went ahead and did that and that has solved the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you have a hard top? It sounds silly as hell but I had the exact same problem with my radio. Turned out the harness for the hard top was loose and every time it moved, the radio cut in and out. Drove me nuts for about 3 days before I remembered the radio would cut out when I plug/unplug the hard top. Sure enough, that was it.
I had the same problem and followed your advice. I remove the top every summer. This time on reinstall I didn't lock the back harness properly. I locked the harness and the problem is gone . What that has to do with the radio I don't know but that was the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts