Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, So I went to install a radio in my jeep and I very quickly realized that my harness does not match the colors explained in many, MANY posts I have found online. So, lets start with some pictures:

First, the "Top" of the connector:
Connector top.jpg

Next, the "Bottom":
Connector Bottom.jpg

And for help with the second part of the post, a front on picture that is numbered:
Connector Front Numbered.jpg

Now, Below are my colors coordinated with the numbers in the third picture.
1 - BROWN/WHITE
2 - YELLOW/BLACK
3 - BLUE/WHITE
4 - ORANGE/BLACK
5 - BLACK/RED
6 - BROWN
7 - GREEN/WHITE
8 - GREEN
9 - NO WIRE (Is a wire supposed to be here?)
10 - PINK
11 - PURPLE/WHITE
12 - WHITE/RED
13 - WHITE/GREEN

Now, I bought a "matching" female connector that was supposed to match my radio for my year, and it's colors and how they match up are as such:

1 - BROWN/WHITE = GREEN/BLACK
2 - YELLOW/BLACK = WHITE/BLACK
3 - BLUE/WHITE = ORANGE
4 - ORANGE/BLACK = NO WIRE (Again, ...why no wire?)
5 - BLACK/RED = GREY/BLACK
6 - BROWN = PURPLE/BLACK
7 - GREEN/WHITE = GREEN
8 - GREEN = WHITE
9 - NO WIRE (Is a wire supposed to be here?) = BLUE
10 - PINK = YELLOW
11 - PURPLE/WHITE = PINK
12 - WHITE/RED = GREY
13 - WHITE/GREEN = PURPLE

So. This is my issue. Pin 9 has no wire in the male (jeep side) connector and a wire in the female (radio side) and pin 4 is the opposite.

A) What wires mean what (so I can install the radio)
B) Does this female (radio side) connector match my Jeep, and if not, is it trash?
C) If the female is trash, can I simply cut off the male connector and splice the Jeep side wires into the radio side wires?

I really hate electronics with a burning passion (wires/plcs/troubleshooting), so this is a pretty frustrating issue. Maybe It's because I don't feel as confident troubleshooting these type issues as I do mechanical, but either way I would really appreciate any help you guys can give.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I solved this myself using this image out of the 94 FSM for YJ/MJ/XJs:

94 FSM Radio connector.PNG

Then cross referenced the known Jeep side wires with the Radio side connector, then cross referenced THOSE wires with the radios actual connectors. A little slicing and splicing on the radio side and Boom, the radio works first time in!

Thank god for the FSM.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does you stereo keep the clock setting?

Thanks for the excellent wiring info. The only way I can get my stero to power on is to combined the red yellow from the stereo harness with the pink and purple/violet. The only issue is that the clock and all station presets are erased when I turn the jeep off.

From your description the pink should go to the yellow an the red to the violet/white. But when I try that combination the stereo doesn't power on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just installed mine on christmas day and the issue I had was the purple/white stripe wire in the factory harness is the 12v ignition wire had no power with ignition on. I wired the aftermarket harness red wire to the port with the purple/white one and got nothing. I had to use a fuse tap and plug it into my acc port of the fusebox to get it to work properly. Really wish i could figure out why the stock radio harness isnt getting power to the purple/white wire so I can hook it up properly, I hate extra wiring.

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
What year is your Jeep? Did the rest of the wire colors match up?

·
Super Moderator
11,162 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Steve 00,

If you have access to a Factory Service Manual or even a Chiltons manual for your year Jeep, you should find a schematic that shows what each color of wire is designed to do. Then contact the maker of the radio that you're installing to discover which wire is supposed to do what. Then simply unpin the radio side of the plug and repin it in the location where what you want to work, will work.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts