Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hooked up a new head unit. It worked for about 2 weeks then in the middle of a song, went silent. Radio has full functionality but no sound out of the speakers, when plugged in you can hear the speakers pop and when hooked up to a battery and an external speaker it works. What am I missing? Is there an anti theft thing?

2012 Jk sport. Replaced basic radio without the electronics package

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thats weird. I just replaced my 2012 JK sport basic radio this weekend with a kenwood. Hopefully i don't have a similar incident.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Amp if it has one is bad, Possibly a shorted speaker wire. Maybe a voice coil in one of the speakers has shorted.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It can't be the amp if I already had it working. And I'm pretty sure I don't have an amp. Would 1 voice coil knock out all four speakers?

I feel like it must be a shorted speaker wire somewhere. Though I didn't do anything crazy in the install.
Is it possible I blew a fuse somewhere? Though everything else is working

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
It can't be the amp if I already had it working. And I'm pretty sure I don't have an amp. Would 1 voice coil knock out all four speakers?

I feel like it must be a shorted speaker wire somewhere. Though I didn't do anything crazy in the install.
Is it possible I blew a fuse somewhere? Though everything else is working
Like I said, make sure you don't have an amp. It's easy to check. If you do have one, it could be blown due to the high output of your aftermaket radio.

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like I said, make sure you don't have an amp. It's easy to check. If you do have one, it could be blown due to the high output of your aftermaket radio.
Yeah no amp. Any other suggestions? Other than rewiring all the speakers?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Yeah no amp. Any other suggestions? Other than rewiring all the speakers?
That is the weirdest thing I've heard all year so far. Can you grab a multimeter and check your speaker wires for continuity or shorts? That's probably the easiest way to find out where your problem is.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is the weirdest thing I've heard all year so far. Can you grab a multimeter and check your speaker wires for continuity or shorts? That's probably the easiest way to find out where your problem is.
Did that and I get a positive reading of about 6.4v across all of them.

Right now I'm leaning towards it being a short in the factory wiring somewhere...

If it matters, I used the factory ground wire and also have a cb spliced into the constant 12v, accessory 12v and ground.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Did that and I get a positive reading of about 6.4v across all of them.

Right now I'm leaning towards it being a short in the factory wiring somewhere...

If it matters, I used the factory ground wire and also have a cb spliced into the constant 12v, accessory 12v and ground.
I was referring to checking the wires without them connected to the radio. Disconnecting the plugs from the speakers and checking to ground to see if you have a short somewhere.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was referring to checking the wires without them connected to the radio. Disconnecting the plugs from the speakers and checking to ground to see if you have a short somewhere.
Yeah I was putting that off. As its 15° outside today but I guess I don't have a choice.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All wires checked for continuity and passed. I disconnected all the wires. Hooked up the power and ground and an old speaker, it worked. I kept hooking up wires until it went silent. Turns out it's the left rear speaker (-) that has the issue. Grey with green stripe. The speaker still works though it seems like it's only 50% without that wire hooked up. I'm assuming there's a short somewhere with the factory wiring?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
All wires checked for continuity and passed. I disconnected all the wires. Hooked up the power and ground and an old speaker, it worked. I kept hooking up wires until it went silent. Turns out it's the left rear speaker (-) that has the issue. Grey with green stripe. The speaker still works though it seems like it's only 50% without that wire hooked up. I'm assuming there's a short somewhere with the factory wiring?
I was going to suggest for someone to post a wiring diagram because there is a plug in the back that when you remove the hard top, it attenuates the radio.

It looks like you found the problem though. Finding the short could be difficult, but first try around the soundbar. Worse case, you'll have to rerun a line.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was going to suggest for someone to post a wiring diagram because there is a plug in the back that when you remove the hard top, it attenuates the radio. It looks like you found the problem though. Finding the short could be difficult, but first try around the soundbar. Worse case, you'll have to rerun a line.
yeah. Too bad it couldn't be one of the front speakers.

What are the chances of that happening... WHILE driving? And it wasn't even a bumpy road and I wheel often

·
Registered
1,461 Posts

What are the chances of that happening... WHILE driving? And it wasn't even a bumpy road and I wheel often
Maybe someone can post on how the speaker wires are routed from the radio to the soundbar. It would be worth a look to see if there is some wire chaffing other than the speaker wire. The trim panels are really easy to remove so it wouldn't be too hard to give the harness a visual inspection.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts

It seems that either the wire is bad at the 1. radio(harness), or it is bad after the 2. radio(Speaker wire). You need to troubleshoot to find out where you are getting the short or, maybe the 3. speaker itself is bad. I had a similar problem and I resolved it by replacing the speakers and running all new speaker wire. I later replaced the radio harness as well, by taking the radio to the manufacturer. Normally, this harness plugs into the radio body, and it could be short at the connector because the wires are so thin.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It seems that either the wire is bad at the 1. radio(harness), or it is bad after the 2. radio(Speaker wire). You need to troubleshoot to find out where you are getting the short or, maybe the 3. speaker itself is bad. I had a similar problem and I resolved it by replacing the speakers and running all new speaker wire. I later replaced the radio harness as well, by taking the radio to the manufacturer. Normally, this harness plugs into the radio body, and it could be short at the connector because the wires are so thin.
Well I cut my harness off. So limits things a lot. I'll have to check out the speaker and or wire. Luckily I have quite a few speakers laying around I can use.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts