Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it comes to electrical issues consider me electrically disabled so bare with me on this.

My problem: my 99 has an aftermarket head unit (pioneer), what appeared to be stock speakers in the dash and a cheapo sound bar from eBay. In August randomly the speakers started squealing real loud and crackling but wouldn't play the music. I replaced all four of them with pioneer jobbies from walmart and once plugged in, they worked better then before and sounded great (I'm not a music buff so I really don't have the desire to blow my wad on a sound system, just like the background noise). About two weeks went by and while driving to the grocery store, speakers start acting up again, I looked into it at home and found it was the passenger one squealing and once unplugged the others would work just fine, suspecting the ground to be bad I traced the wires and everything seemed to be up to par, no cuts or defects in the wiring, connections seemed to be tight and secure. Running out of patience I just left it unplugged and put the speaker on my work bench and lived with three good speakers.

Fast forward to the other day, I start my jeep and the speakers make a popping noise and the music, with the volume at medium sounds like its barely on. I turn the volume to zero and it pops, turn it up and it works for a second like normal, pops and goes quiet. It does this for about 2 minutes then starts working perfectly fine... It almost seems like my radio needs to "warm up" before it will work properly. Is this a wiring issue somewhere that I'm going to have to find or is it possibly just that my head unit has gone bad? From what little I know about electrical crap it almost seems like a bad ground, but it doing it at random and going away has me perplexed.

Hopefully one of you radio/electrical junkies can help me out, like I said, I'm about as competent with electrical problems as those replacement NFL refs were at reffing NFL games.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yea it's a bad ground. Check the speaker it might be grounding out to the mount. Happens sometimes. I installed mine and had to mess with it for a second to make sure it wasn't grounding out. Also that foam that is on top of the speaker sometimes bounces around and makes the speaker sound funny when its fine. If this dosent work then u will have to find what wire is send to that speaker and try and run it externally just to see if its a bad wire inside. Troubleshooting sucks but that sound jeep u going in the right direction if none of that works let me know and it might be a over amp head unit witch I don't think it is

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks. I have had the speaker that I thought was causing the problem pulled and the wires taped so they would short out. I'll have to look at the remaining speakers and see if there's a bad ground in there somewhere. It's just weird that it comes and goes.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Also try and swap ur speakers to see if they are Even messed up, best way to check it to change them from left to right. Then u will know if its the speakers or the wires

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I strongly suggest you pull the radio to look for bad or exposed connections. Also pull dash speakers along with the soundbar speakers and verify (+) and (-) connections to the radio. It's very easy to get the speaker terminals mixed up, especially dealing with the factory color scheme.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've pulled the head unit and checked all the connections and splices on the easy connector thing the PO used and all of it seemed to be tight and secure, and the wiring doesn't have any flaws or cuts in it. Out of the three speakers that are in it I played with the wiring and know that they are all hooked up right, + and - wise. I haven't tried putting the one that was causing problems into another spot to see if it's the speakers or the wiring but I will when I get off work... As for the other problem with it having to "warm up" it hasn't done that again since last weekend so idk what to think about it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I would be suspect of a speaker or two to be grounding out, as was said above. If this happens on and off for awhile, it could fry your deck, especially if it's a cheap one without protect mode. Swap another speaker into the spot that you pulled one from and make sure it's the wiring, either way it's possible the radio is on it's way out.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If the speaker swap works its going to be the wire that runs around the side by the door they short out. More than likely just a bad wire that rotted out over time. Might have to run a new wire. So swap the speakers and if it work then run a new wire externally and just connect it to that speaker from the head unit and if it works ( just put the speaker in the dash so u don't need a crazy long wire) then u will know if its the wire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts