Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Hoping you can help. When I bought my Jeep there was an aftermarket radio in here that suddenly stopped working. I had another head unit from my compass and ordered the proper wire harness from Crutchfield. I have connected all the wires properly, wrapped the ground around a screw in the dash and.... Nothing. I checked the fuses under the dash and they are fine. I dont know if I'm missing a fuse but I didnt see one fall out.. Any ideas of what could be wrong? It's really like its getting no power through the factory wires/harness.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Just for the hell of it, check the radio fuse with a test light for power on the hot side, you can do it without pulling the fuse. I had one of my accessory lugs go dead, it had overloaded lights on the circuit by PO..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Need to test the wires to make sure they work....yellow = constant power, red = power on with key...and make sure your ground is indeed ground
Ok when I called Crutchfield back they said the black ground goes to the black from the radio harness so I did that and still nothing. I figured I would have to check the in dash eires for juice with a tester. I love that profile pic of yours by the way... I'll let you know how that works out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just for the hell of it, check the radio fuse with a test light for power on the hot side, you can do it without pulling the fuse. I had one of my accessory lugs go dead, it had overloaded lights on the circuit by PO..
While I'm testing the harness I will check the fuse power like you suggested. Thanks guys. I'll probably have to ask you what an accessory lug is.... If I cant get it to work. I was thinking the yellow wasn't all the way connected in the butt connector I used..

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
Ok, first of all CF is only about 50 percent right on their advice....most YJ's I have owned do not have a ground wire in the harness, they ground off the back of the radio to a braided cable. What I do is take the black wire comming out of your radio and ground it to a place I know is ground...like the framework for the dash. I suspect you don't have a ground and that is why the radio doesnt work :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, first of all CF is only about 50 percent right on their advice....most YJ's I have owned do not have a ground wire in the harness, they ground off the back of the radio to a braided cable. What I do is take the black wire comming out of your radio and ground it to a place I know is ground...like the framework for the dash. I suspect you don't have a ground and that is why the radio doesnt work :)
I've got a single black wire that is just hanging out of the bundle that conbects to the factory harness... Then I have a single black comming out of the radio harness.. So your telling me to connect both of those tovthe dash or just one?

·
Registered
361 Posts
You said that the first radio stoped working and that the new one from your compass ain't working now that you swapped it ?
Makes me wonder if your getting power at all .

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You said that the first radio stoped working and that the new one from your compass ain't working now that you swapped it ?
Makes me wonder if your getting power at all .
Yup that's right. I thought it was a bad radio but I'm starting to wonder if it's a bad wire harness connected to the vehicle... I'm going to test it tomorrow.. just got home from second job so.. not tonight. I hope this isn't a big deal though, I know a little but not a lot, or enough to fix a big job. I think the wire harness from the vehicle is dead, question is where is it bad in the harness or the starting point of power.. and I don't know where that starting point is. :confused:

·
Registered
49 Posts
When I was installing a radio in my 95, I didn't have power. It ended up being an "accessory" fuse that was supplying power to the harness, and that fuse was blown! I know you said you checked fuses, may check them all? Here are some pics, hope they help.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I was installing a radio in my 95, I didn't have power. It ended up being an "accessory" fuse that was supplying power to the harness, and that fuse was blown! I know you said you checked fuses, may check them all? Here are some pics, hope they help.
You... Are... The... Man! I was looking for one of these diagrams all day. I dont know if they are all ok or even there I only have three fuses in my inside fuse box! I'm going to test the wires and check the fuses against this diagram tomorrow. Thanks guys, very very helpful.

L

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So my dad is an electrical engineer and we tested the wired today and called Crutchfield and according to everything the fix seems to be to run a wire from the pink wire from the factory harness to the fude clock slot and pull power from there. The constant power from the pink seems to have no power. Short of following that this seems to be the only fix....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts