Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Forum.
1998 Wrangler Sport with factory soundbar in roof.

I'm wiring in a new radio. The Kenwood the truck came with stopped reading cd's, so I'm replacing it with a Dual(Jensen)brand CD/MP3 player.

I got the Jeep harness color codes from The12Volt.Com. A website that offers automotive wiring color codes.

I can't seem to get proper stereo separation in the rear speakers(fronts seem fine). All my wiring is correct according to the wire ID sticker on the radio and the websites chart. I pulled all the speakers and checked their polarities with a AA battery to verify the websites accuracy. It was correct.

The only thing I can think of is maybe jeep wires the rear speakers in series, then processes the sound in the head unit(that's the way Volvo does it to get better bass).

Or maybe the original wire harness was made wrong or tampered with before I bought the truck, and a wire is crossed somewhere hidden.

Does anybody know a way of checking the polarities of the wires at the speaker locations?

Thanks for any help. My chart is attached.

Attachments

·
Vendor
6,293 Posts
Bypass the factory wires and fish your own in for the sound bar. Problem solved!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,624 Posts
Speaker phasing is critical to good sound. That just means when the left speaker's cone moves in/out, the right speaker must move in/out at the same time. Simplest to understand if you think about a monaural (non-stereo) source like AM radio. If one speaker cone is moving in while the other is moving out (assuming a non-stereo sound), they are out of phase and one speaker has its wiring backwards.

If speakers are out of phase with each other, they will sound odd, like there is a space between them. Speakers that are properly in phase with each other will sound like the sound is centered between them.

Some new stereo enthusiasts initially prefer the sound when the speakers are out of phase with each other but after a while, it becomes irritating.

To phase your speakers assuming two front and two rear speakers. Turn the rear speakers off by turning the fader control all the way to the front. Play an AM (because it is not stereo) radio station and position yourself between the speakers. Listen, then reverse the wiring going to just ONE speaker (not both!). Whichever wiring position places the sound in between the speakers is the right one that places them in phase with each other.

Then do the same thing with the rear... move the fader control from the front to the rear. :)

·
Vendor
6,293 Posts
A wealth of information as always Jerry! Good work Sir! A math professor once told me "that if you knew all the crap that was in my head, you wouldn't ask me to remember another ****ing thing!"

I suspect some days you feel the same. Carry on! :D

Namaste,

Allen

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Speaker phasing is critical to good sound. That just means when the left speaker's cone moves in/out, the right speaker must move in/out at the same time. Simplest to understand if you think about a monaural (non-stereo) source like AM radio. If one speaker cone is moving in while the other is moving out (assuming a non-stereo sound), they are out of phase and one speaker has its wiring backwards.

If speakers are out of phase with each other, they will sound odd, like there is a space between them. Speakers that are properly in phase with each other will sound like the sound is centered between them.

Some new stereo enthusiasts initially prefer the sound when the speakers are out of phase with each other but after a while, it becomes irritating.

To phase your speakers assuming two front and two rear speakers. Turn the rear speakers off by turning the fader control all the way to the front. Play an AM (because it is not stereo) radio station and position yourself between the speakers. Listen, then reverse the wiring going to just ONE speaker (not both!). Whichever wiring position places the sound in between the speakers is the right one that places them in phase with each other.

Then do the same thing with the rear... move the fader control from the front to the rear. :)
I know most of that already.
Doing the AM thing wouldn't really work because if both speakers are reversed you'll be in phase but suffer from base cancellation.

Thanks anyway. I'm just running new wires. I've already done the front. Easy enough.

I remember home stereos and boomboxes back in the 1970s and 80s used to have a setting called "Wide" or "MPX" which threw the speakers slightly out of phase to give a more pronounced stereo effect.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,624 Posts
Doing the AM thing wouldn't really work because if both speakers are reversed you'll be in phase but suffer from base cancellation.
Not when you do the same between the front and rear speakers. You can only suggest you so much when you don't know the person's technical abilities.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Doing the AM thing wouldn't really work because if both speakers are reversed you'll be in phase but suffer from base cancellation..
Really? Only if the front pair is out of phase with the rear pair. You should be able to check that using Jerry's procedure, but phasing the front left with the rear left, etc.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I figured out what the problem was. There is no partition inside the soundbar. So when you turn the balance all the way to one side, the side that was turned off becomes a passive bass reflex speaker that will produce audible sound. Making it appear that a channel is crossed.

If you turn the balance all the way to one side, if everything is wired correct, you shouldn't hear anything from the other side.

Poor soundbar design. It muddies the bass, and diminishes the stereo effect. Not that it matters with the paper junk that's in there. But when I upgrade I'm definitely packing foam in there.

Wasted two days on this sh*t.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts