Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1999 TJ, factory unit w/ cassette. I use one of those cassette adapters that plugs into an MP3 player. The cassette player quit working. So, I need something different.

I thought about trying a factory unit from a newer TJ that has a CD player, but that would eliminate my MP3 option, and don't know what years would fit my '99. Or should I just buy an aftermarket unit and be done with it?

Thoughts / advice?

Never-mind.... checked Crutchfield, didn't know receivers were so inexpensive now. Bought one.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Buy a new head unit. Virtually all will have MP3 USB input or Bluetooth with direct input to the IPOD or other device. You can get a decent one for around 150. Spend a few $$ more and upgrade the speakers and overally you will be a lot happier.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Single Din aftermarket and be done with it. Check Crutchfield and look for one with Aux in for your MP3 player. Or better yet get one with an SD Card. It's time to stop hearing the clanking of that cassette adapter anyway. It drove me nuts. See==>:eek:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I highly recommend this Scosche SCDBTA60 single din aftermarket radio. I just bought mine for $100 from Wal-Mart and love it even more than my $250 Pioneer unit it replaced. It does bluetooth, handsfree calling, CD player, an auxillary port in the front, and a USB port in the front. Plus the whole lighting is white so it's not some garish blue and red or some christmas-light style like some Alpine units are. Some negatives are that there aren't any rear auxillary inputs for somebody that would want to run a cable through their glove box. Personally, I just use the bluetooth feature and I'm good to go.

Scosche SCDBTA60 In-Dash Receiver - Walmart.com

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have a factory unit with a CD player, but the CD player stopped working. Probably anything that old wouldn't hold up very long. Aftermarket units are your best bet.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I got an aftermarket that plays regular CD's, as well as WMA or MP3 format CD's. But I found those tend to skip off roading. So my radio also plays via flash drives and iPods, have hookup cables. Or I can plug my Sansa MP3 player in direct. I had a tech install mine with two new Pioneer speakers for the front as the others were totally shot. Trying to remember the name of those speakers. They were a popular brand at one time. The soundbar has them and there too those are going out every once in a while too. Will have to replace them soon I suppose. I gotta have music playing when I am driving.

·
Registered
26 Posts
JVC KD-X50BT from Sonicelectronix.com. Bluetooth. Front and rear USB. USB in rear has a cable that will snake to your glovebox. Thumb drive all your music or bluetooth. Plenty of power. Comes with dash adapter and cabling for free.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I Prefer Alpine but there are tons of choices I Like the fact that My Alpine has both front & rear USB ports I keep a iPod Nano in My glove box permanently hooked up to the rear USB,I highly recommend Crutchfield Install hardware is included & detailed instructions as well & Great Customer support should you need it.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Pioneer 8400 amazon .com. Rear
USB free shipping if your not keen on getting a din adapter and wiring harness you can search amazon for those to. Or get part numbers from crutch field then order on amazon and save a fortune.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I got a Sony CDX-570UP from Crutchfield for $90. It has front AUX and USB which I needed b/c I put all my music on a thumb USB that stays in vehicle. It also has detachable face for when the top is off and a range of colors for illumination. So far I have been really happy with it for the price and Crutchfield gives you the free install kit so cant go wrong there.

·
Registered
74 Posts
When my CD player went out, I got the ipod2car adapter from Crutchfield - it lets me play an iPod through the stereo.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone!

:iamhappy:
Wow, thanks for all the advice! I did replace it with an aftermarket. I hadn't look at car audio for a very long time; had no idea they came with SD and USB ports now. Very cool!
:bop:​

·
Registered
132 Posts
1999 TJ, factory unit w/ cassette. I use one of those cassette adapters that plugs into an MP3 player. The cassette player quit working. So, I need something different. I thought about trying a factory unit from a newer TJ that has a CD player, but that would eliminate my MP3 option, and don't know what years would fit my '99. Or should I just buy an aftermarket unit and be done with it? Thoughts / advice? Never-mind.... checked Crutchfield, didn't know receivers were so inexpensive now. Bought one.
Where did you get your cassette adapter from?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where did you get your cassette adapter from?
Walmart. I'll send you the one I used if you cover the postage, although it may be less expensive for you just to go buy one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts