Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new here as I just got a 1999 JK Sport. The radio in it is stock and I would like to upgrade to something with satellite radio etc. The speakers are so-so. Do I need to change the entire system to upgrade to something better? Do all the speakers need to be swapped and do I need an amp and a sub? I am not super knowledgeable in this area so please don't get too technical. But any advise on this would be great. Especially advise on making an upgrade without spending thousands.

Thanks

·
Registered
418 Posts
Ummm.....

The "cliff notes" answer is yes, upgrade your radio itself and if the budget allows, swap out all of the speakers too.

If you spend the money for a good radio (technically called the "head unit"), it will usually put out a decent amount of wattage so a separate amp isn't necessary for it to sound pretty good, even with upgraded speakers.

But this stuff tends to be a "rabbit hole" you can easily keep going down into, deeper and deeper, once you get started. I mean, say you get the fancy radio with Sirius/XM satellite and all that? Well, now you're listening to more music and everything else and you're going to think, "Man... I wish I had some more bass!" So now you're looking at buying a bass subwoofer to put in back of the Jeep, and that definitely needs its own power amp to drive it. You spend X hundreds on that, and then you say, "Awesome bass thump now! But it kind of drowns out the rest of the sound. I need some more power to the rest of my speakers to balance it out!" So you're looking at a 4 channel power amp to boost those (or maybe a 6 channel so the sub can run off of it too, instead of having 2 power amps in there and all that extra wiring!).

Different people have a different idea of what's "good enough" for them, but I find it's a moving target in most cases. Whatever you upgrade to, you get used to it and want a little bit more .... And there's a lot of inexpensive stuff you can do to make tiny little improvements in all of this, like stuffing a little bit of poly-fill behind the speakers in the sound-bar so they don't have such a hollow sound when they play.

Hey guys, new here as I just got a 1999 JK Sport. The radio in it is stock and I would like to upgrade to something with satellite radio etc. The speakers are so-so. Do I need to change the entire system to upgrade to something better? Do all the speakers need to be swapped and do I need an amp and a sub? I am not super knowledgeable in this area so please don't get too technical. But any advise on this would be great. Especially advise on making an upgrade without spending thousands.

Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
had a clarion cz 302 installed on my 2012 for under 300 becouse the stock one crapped out, the stock speakers sound awesome with this simple upgrade. this new radio has a ton of adjustments for the sound. You would think i spent at least a thousand in upgrades when you listen to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts