Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a Kenwood KMMBT518HD radio to replace the original unit. I specifically told the guy the speaker configuration (2 front, two in the roll bar as the rear speakers, and the center console bass, all stock. He researched a wiring harness and gave me one he said would work. The harness wires are clearly marked for the front and back speakers, but I don't see wires for the center console bass. Do I have the wrong wiring harness or will the center console bass magically work :) with just the front and back speaker connections? Thanks...

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't have a stock subwoofer, but: there are not too many aftermarket head units that will power a subwoofer and I'm guessing your Kenwood isn't one of them. You could add a small amp...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
72andsunny...it's the stock speaker in the center console that came with the jeep. It's not powered When I pulled the original radio out, there were no special connections for that console speaker. The only plugs were the black and gray wiring harness plugs.

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
The stock head unit for all options only has 4 speaker wire pairs as none of the stock head units had a sub out or preamp out all wiring for the optional sub is downstream from the head unit connection

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Digger84...sorry for the newb questions...so when I connect the new wiring harness for the new radio to the stock black and grey connectors hanging from the dash, even though there are only wires for 4 speakers, the center console bass is going to work/be connected to the radio? I'm not a radio or electronics guy, but that doesn't make sense unless one of those 4 speaker connections splits somewhere down the line and sends an audio signal from the radio to the center console speaker. Thank you...

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
Correct all four sub woofer leads are spliced to the 4 rear speaker wires out of the radio
Image from 02 FSM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all very much for the help. But there's one last wiring harness question :) ...the new harness that plugs into the black and gray clips from the dash has an orange and an orange/black wire for illumination and dimmer respectively, but there's no such leads from the harness that plugs into the new radio. How do I get illumination and dimmer to the radio? Thank you...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts