Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stock YJ radio doesn't work. It doesn't have constant power to it ever time I shut the jeep off I have to reprogram everything and then it won't get any fm channels

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had the same problem with my YJ. For what ever reason I did not have power going to the courtesy dome, cigar lighter, which shows as being the "Memory" power on teh schematic. From what I found the Fusible Link that controlled the engine controls was fried, and the PO cut out the fusible link that control the CD and CL. So I got another fusible link and put that in place. The fusible link is located on the ignition relay next to the battery and close to the oil pressure sender on 4.2s.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Jdusome said:
Ya this didn't really help me sorry the only thing next to the battery is a fuse box
One of the wires from the stereo should act as a memory power source. Have you checked to see if you have any disconnected wires behind the stereo?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would anyone happen to know what the colors of the wires should be? I've got a blue wire with white stripe off the harness going to a purple wire with a white stripe. I didn't see another blue and white wire anywhere.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You didn't mention whether you had a 2.5 or 4.2, although their power distribution is not that different.

Under the dash the pink line running to the radio is the 12v memory power, the switch voltage is violet with a trace, display illumination is orange with trace. If your memory power is not working then neither should your cigarette lighter.

Under the hood, from the starter relay, where ever it is in a 2.5, you have four fusible links that are attached to the same bolt that the wire (thick wire) from the starter runs to.

The questions to ask: Does your inside the cab courtesy lights work? Does your Turn signal work, and does your Park/Tail Lamps work? If you answered yes to any one of these questions, than your radio is going bad, as all three of those circuits are feed from the same source. Also, the Hazard/Stop, Fog Lamps, and Headlamp switch are fed from the same circuit.

For switched power, if your wiper blades work, than that circuit is, which feeds switched power to the radio is good.

Hope that helps.

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
Your radio should have the following color code:

Black = ground
Yellow = constant power
Red = switched power
Blue = power antenna (not used in jeeps)
Blue/White = amp turn on (only if you have an external amp)
The greys, white, greens, and purples are all the speakers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts