Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 97 tj
i leave the top off my jeep all summer long and it gets rained on a lot
i blew out two radios so far
any suggestions on what radio would hold up in these conditions
i had to cheapy dual radios and they both quit on me

tnx

·
Registered
19 Posts
i have a 97 tj
i leave the top off my jeep all summer long and it gets rained on a lot
i blew out two radios so far
any suggestions on what radio would hold up in these conditions
i had to cheapy dual radios and they both quit on me

tnx
A tarp or cover?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
For convenience and keeping the sun off m head, I mostly run stagecoach (windows and doors off, top still up acting like a Bimini). An unexpected rain is less of a risk for me.

I have seen a number of people mention marine radios being an option. It would be water-resistant and splash proof. I am sure they are standard size. Something to consider.

Crutchfield has a lot of marine radios to pick from starting at $100 up to sky is the limit...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats what i was thinking a marine radio
does anyone have experience with a specific brand
i saw a pyle marine radio but the reviews were not so hot

·
Registered
264 Posts
Keep in mind that with marine radios, only the front is splash proof. The part in the dash is just as exposed as any radio. If you are getting water down in your dash it won't help at all.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
For a cheap solution, try running a bikini top. Seriously.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I worked at Tracker marine for a couple years, the marine radios are pretty much standard single din units that are just sealed better, and usually painted different. In my opinion they held up pretty well to water but boats are usually pretty choppy rides depending on how you drive them. I saw a lot of the factory installed units on the Trackers take a dump after two months, and most of them were brand name units,

·
Registered
876 Posts
For convenience and keeping the sun off m head, I mostly run stagecoach (windows and doors off, top still up acting like a Bimini). An unexpected rain is less of a risk for me.
Thank you for this! I've run this way since May this year and have only had to put doors and windows in twice for a big rain storm. I never knew what to call it but "running stagecoach" is the perfect description.

I agree that you should run some kind of top to keep water off the dash. You will keep the sun off you so you'll feel cooler and you will prevent many water related headaches in the years to come. Jeeps aren't waterproof.

·
Registered
612 Posts
A marine unit will do better JVC makes one that is just about $100. They are a little more than just sealed up better, the boards inside the unit are also coated.

Another thing to consider is getting a media player only rather than a CD/DVD player. this removes the big slot in the front where water can get inside. Also they are cheaper.

For my jeep I got the JVC media player (non-marine) for $80. It was in the jeep about 12 hours before I got caught topless in a thunderstorm--It got very wet but still works just fine.

Reactions: tzukows

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
When I was shopping around, I did not get a marine radio. I did get a radio that was under $200 to replace if it ever failed or got stolen. I won't be taking such a hard financial hit, if I have to replace it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
marine radios also come cheaper then 200$.

If this was me I would get conformal spray - get a marine radio so the face plate is water resistant.

Open it up and coat the entire inside with conformal spray lightly.

People do it on motherboards and other electronics and it seems to work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the responses
I just picked up a cheap pyle marine radio $45 lol

it seems to work ok
sound quality isn't great but its functional
it already got soaking wet and is still working so thats a plus
Ill be putting my top up soon so i won't have to worry again until may

thanks again for all the insight

1 - 15 of 15 Posts