Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:bop:I have rain water dripping on the heater vents, then running onto the floor mats. Does anyone know where to look first? This is a '95 YJ and the leak seems to be in line with the intake vent just in front of the windshield, but I don't know how that could be the culprit.
Any help appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
725 Posts
The cowl vent hose is inside the engine compartment. It's about the diameter of a quarter and it's aprox 12" long. At the bottom of it. it appears to be closed or seamed together. Squeeze at the bottom of the hose and it should open up and allow all the garbage out so the water will drain again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Had the same problem soon after I got my YJ. Was the cowl vent hose like Western said. I just pulled mine off, pulled a bunch of junk out and then cleaned it out with a garden hose.. I squeezed it open a bit so hopefully it wouldn't clog up again and haven't had problems with it since.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dripping rain water found

Thanks for everyone's help. I think most of my problem was the seal where the windshield folds down. Since my jeep is black, I solved the problem with some black electrical tape. I'll see if that fixed it the next time it rains. The cowl vent drain will be next if I haven't actually solved it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 90' YJ leaked horribly that's why previous owner sold just to by a newer one thinking it was just because it was old, lol
It took a lot of elbow grease to get the torch head bolts off to replace windshield cowl replaced but but puting it back together was worse because the new seal was "new" it was difficult to get it all tightened down but it's all down and hasn't leaked since 😄

·
Registered
3 Posts
So what the heck is the point of that stupid closed up drain pipe anyway?! Is it that important to keep the outflow to a dribble? This is the engine bay of a jeep, after all... Thanks guys I think that was my problem. I had changed my rotten windshield frame and cowl seal at the same time a few days ago and was surprised it didn't totally fix the leak into the footwells. It was really noticeable when going round a right hand corner - the water would drain onto my foot... Am assuming that (cowl drain pipe) was the other part of my problem because when I took off the pipe water gushed out and when I opened up the end a bunch of vile goo oozed out followed by more water. I put the pipe back on but plan to open it up at the end tomorrow or the weekend. More rain is forecast here in Nassau in the coming days (hello rainy season!) and I'll post the result.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
So what the heck is the point of that stupid closed up drain pipe anyway?!
That is kind of a one way valve. It keeps splashes, and bugs from going up but allow heavier water to open it up and drain. Then folks lose the screen on the cowl vent and then leaves and gunk build up and cant pass the now hardened rubber beak and you get the gooshy goo and water leaks, too.

·
Registered
234 Posts
That is kind of a one way valve. It keeps splashes, and bugs from going up but allow heavier water to open it up and drain. Then folks lose the screen on the cowl vent and then leaves and gunk build up and cant pass the now hardened rubber beak and you get the gooshy goo and water leaks, too.
I cut the end off of mine....didnt even consider bugs coming in through there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts