Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you let your TJ (inside) get wet in the rain? I just want to know how soaked can our Jeeps can get before it really starts to harm the Jeep. I am going to do a bedliner mod in the very near future so I won't have to worry about rust or mold.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I would be most worried about the clockspring, and then the radio, and then maybe mold or rust if the tub isnt lined with something.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have been keeping my plugs out of the floor (no carpet). It has been raining here for weeks. Me and my girl took the jeep to the beach and got caught in a storm with no windows and the dash was completely drenched. I had no problems though.

My back soft window is missing the seal for the tailgate so the floor stays wet.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So basiclly try not to get it wet but if I do I don't really have to worry?

·
Registered
106 Posts
On my old jeep I took out all the carpet and por15 all the floors. I dont care if it gets wet, but the carpet can start to stink if you dont dry it good enough. Plus some neoprene seat covers wont soak up the water.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
this is an interesting topic. when I was shopping for my 1st wrangler I looked at plenty of them that had obviously been exposed to lots of water on the interior. they all stunk. they all had this overall "yuk factor". but, they all functioned.

I think the design of the TJ allows the interior to be wet and functional, but not wet and desirable.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this is an interesting topic. when I was shopping for my 1st wrangler I looked at plenty of them that had obviously been exposed to lots of water on the interior. they all stunk. they all had this overall "yuk factor". but, they all functioned.

I think the design of the TJ allows the interior to be wet and functional, but not wet and desirable.
My vision is that I could just hose the jeep out after mudding. Of course I plan to bedline it way before hosing out the inside. It would make clean up much easier since that's all that's around me is mud.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
^based on what I have seen, your plan should work out fine. now, as for how the seat fabric and/or the carpeting might look? that's the tricky part.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I should have mentioned I do not have carpet. I hose my jeep out as well. I got a nice little 'new car smell' pine tree hanging from the rear view that takes care of damp seats smelling sour.

Wet Okolee makes some really cool neoprene seat covers that are completely waterproof starting at $200. Might want to look into that if you plan on getting wet often.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Those seat covers are really nice, but if you want to do all the seats its almost five hundred bucks! To much $ for me.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those seat covers are really nice, but if you want to do all the seats its almost five hundred bucks! To much $ for me.
Ya I have to agree. It would be nice to have those covers but that is way to much.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I should have mentioned I do not have carpet. I hose my jeep out as well. I got a nice little 'new car smell' pine tree hanging from the rear view that takes care of damp seats smelling sour.

Wet Okolee makes some really cool neoprene seat covers that are completely waterproof starting at $200. Might want to look into that if you plan on getting wet often.
I also would remove all my carpet when I go to bedline it so I will not have to worry about that. As far as the seats, I had not thought about that still smelling. I might have to invest in some covers but those for almost 500 would be way to much.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Neoprene material is not waterproof material. You should look into vinyl as a waterproofing material. Bestop vinyl seat covers are popular and fits well. I would avoid getting the dash wet under any circumstances. More often than not, you can expect a quirky electrically related issue after a rainstorm if you are topless.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Neoprene material is not waterproof material. You should look into vinyl as a waterproofing material. Bestop vinyl seat covers are popular and fits well. I would avoid getting the dash wet under any circumstances. More often than not, you can expect a quirky electrically related issue after a rainstorm if you are topless.
Just curious have you had the quirky thing happen to you after the dash got drenched?

·
Registered
128 Posts
The wet Okolees are definitely waterproof. They might be of a different material I guess. And again I forgot I keep my rear seat removed (dobermans inhabit the rear of my jeep lol) so I only thought of purchasing the front covers. I agree that $500 is steep if you need the full set. I'm going to check out what Bestop has to offer.

I also would agree I wouldn't get the dash wet on purpose, but after all we are talking about being caught topless. Not to much of a choice there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I saw some folks on here talking about the NeverWet waterproof spray you can get at Home Depot. I decided to give it a try a couple weeks ago on some cheap universal seat covers.
They're not completely waterproof, especially because I put it on pretty light to keep the seats breathable, which was a very important factor being in Florida. I'd say they're more than 50% waterproof though.
In other words, I don't worry about the seats getting rained on, because they only get damp and dry after a couple hours in the sun. I also have no carpets and the drain plugs always off.

I came across this thread though because my dash got wet a just over the 4th when I had to top completely down. Usually I do a makeshift bikini top with my soft top.
But anyway, the radio is fine, but I had some steering wheel troubles. The horn started honking on its own and wouldn't stop until I detached the wire under the hood. I also have a light on telling me the airbag is disabled, which isn't good. I'm still looking for a solution...

Keep your steering wheel dry folks :facepalm:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think it just depends, or you just get lucky. I knew a guy that used to shovel the snow out of his jeep, and he never had any electrical probs.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Just curious have you had the quirky thing happen to you after the dash got drenched?
I run a Bestop Safari top, Smitty C.res, and Body Armor Trail doors all summer. Yes wet interior is part of the lifestyle, it deosnt bother me to much. I keep a set of rain gear handy. I had about a gallon of h2o resting between the windshield and soundbar and dripped down around my header channel and set my horn off for about 4 minutes until i pulled the fuse.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I found my TJ sitting on the back row of a car lot, where it had been for over 4 years. It had a shredded top, no windows and full doors, windows up. It had mushrooms and green algae growing in the carpet, the fabric was more dirty than faded, but with some effort it started up. I removed the interior, all of it, pressure washed it, let it dry out in the sun, and it looked quite nice! No rust or electrical issues, but I wouldn't recommend doing this again!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I saw some folks on here talking about the NeverWet waterproof spray you can get at Home Depot. I decided to give it a try a couple weeks ago on some cheap universal seat covers.
They're not completely waterproof, especially because I put it on pretty light to keep the seats breathable, which was a very important factor being in Florida. I'd say they're more than 50% waterproof though.
In other words, I don't worry about the seats getting rained on, because they only get damp and dry after a couple hours in the sun. I also have no carpets and the drain plugs always off.

I came across this thread though because my dash got wet a just over the 4th when I had to top completely down. Usually I do a makeshift bikini top with my soft top.
But anyway, the radio is fine, but I had some steering wheel troubles. The horn started honking on its own and wouldn't stop until I detached the wire under the hood. I also have a light on telling me the airbag is disabled, which isn't good. I'm still looking for a solution...

Keep your steering wheel dry folks :facepalm:
That sounds like it could be the clockspring issue I was talking about.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/clockspring-140755.html

1 - 20 of 21 Posts