Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When jeep sits in rain. It won't crank. Have to let sit for few days for it to start again. What could be getting wet to cause this?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
well, it could very well be the distributor. But do you have a leaky seal between the hood and cowl? The best fix for that would be to stop water from getting under the hood.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so I checked it out. No moisture under hood. None in the distributor. I'm lost. Not sure how anything gets wet from just sitting in the rain

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Ummm im sorry but im at a loss. I have never heard of this kind of problem from just sitting in the rain unless the hood was leaking.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
When you say it "won't crank" do you mean it won't start or the starter motor won't crank the engine?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
That is an indication of either a bad connection between the starter and battery or a weak battery. I would first remove both battery connections and after wire brushing them so they are bright and shiny, replace them and tighten the connector nuts so the connector is tight. Test that you can't rotate either battery connector around the battery post after they are tight which indicates a worn connector.

If that doesn't help, have your battery load tested by a battery shop. A load test is the only accurate way of knowing a battery's condition.'

You could also have a bad starter but I'd suspect the other two items before I'd suspect the starter.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
It's making a clicking sound when trying to start it
ohh well when my starter went bad it made clicking sounds when it wouldn't start... maybe the starter has an issue and when it gets a little wet it shorts out?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
That is an indication of either a bad connection between the starter and battery or a weak battery. I would first remove both battery connections and after wire brushing them so they are bright and shiny, replace them and tighten the connector nuts so the connector is tight. Test that you can't rotate either battery connector around the battery post after they are tight which indicates a worn connector.

If that doesn't help, have your battery load tested by a battery shop. A load test is the only accurate way of knowing a battery's condition.'

You could also have a bad starter but I'd suspect the other two items before I'd suspect a bad starter.
I agree with everything you said, but where is the correlation to the rain?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is an indication of either a bad connection between the starter and battery or a weak battery. I would first remove both battery connections and after wire brushing them so they are bright and shiny, replace them and tighten the connector nuts so the connector is tight. Test that you can't rotate either battery connector around the battery post after they are tight which indicates a worn connector. If that doesn't help, have your battery load tested by a battery shop. A load test is the only accurate way of knowing a battery's condition.' You could also have a bad starter but I'd suspect the other two items before I'd suspect the starter.
I checked out battery. It's good

1 - 20 of 22 Posts