Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a rain cover to throw on when the doors are off and top down/curtains removed and have narrowed the mfr. down to Raingear. What I am trying to now decide on is whether to get the cover that can fit over a soft/hard top (Half Cover) or one that is designed for no top at all. I have a spring assisted premium top on and it will always be attached to the Jeep but curtains and doors stored in the garage. The newer top is pretty much a snap to raise and lower and would give the belt and suspenders approach if I went with the Half Cover. It would also act as a bow to prevent pooling. Of course the laziness factor kicks in and not having to raise or lower the top plus deal with the rain cover is also attractive. Anyone have the Half Cover (top remains on) that can comment on this?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
The only reason I can see for having the cover that fits with the top on is if you plan to regularly run with the top up and doors off or if you had a hard top and planned to not have the freedom panels with you after taking them off. Neither applied to me so I just ordered the standard 'fastback' looking one that is designed for no top because that's the only time I'll really have a use for it.

edit: I don't know if a soft top being down will create too much of a bulge over the gate and cause problems getting the cover on back there though. So you might need the extra material in order to get it to fit over that? Someone with a soft top that uses one of these will have to give some info on that.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only reason I can see for having the cover that fits with the top on is if you plan to regularly run with the top up and doors off or if you had a hard top and planned to not have the freedom panels with you after taking them off. Neither applied to me so I just ordered the standard 'fastback' looking one that is designed for no top because that's the only time I'll really have a use for it.

edit: I don't know if a soft top being down will create too much of a bulge over the gate and cause problems getting the cover on back there though. So you might need the extra material in order to get it to fit over that? Someone with a soft top that uses one of these will have to give some info on that.

I hear what you are saying. I occasionally have doors off/curtains removed and the top up but not often. The only reason for the full top would be for added protection by having the top up too.

The mfr claims there is room to fit over the stored top. Would like to hear it from others though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts