Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am transporting paddle boards and am wondering if the rain gutter style roof rack attaching points will work with the sundowner soft top? I haven't found any info on this and I know that I can just put them on the top of the jeep with the soft top down but am looking for a better option for crappy weather until I can order the Gobi rack that I want. Thule and Yakima both make them but has anyone ever used them with the soft top?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
there are no rain gutters on the soft top, so no. The top lies flat against the door rails. Even if they did have rain gutters, the plastic on the door rails seems to weak to support anything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I figured. There are small lips that the soft top sits on and didn't know if they could be used.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The Trektop NX will work with the Thule hardtop gutter mounts, I also have the SUP Taxi.
How tight can you tighten the Thule gutter mounts without cracking the hardtop's lips. Are the rain gutters on the hardtop really that strong that you can put a gutter mount on them, and then carry a canoe for instance ? Its just plastic.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Any flapping with that setup?

I emailed Bestop about using a rain gutter setup on the TNX, and they said it wouldn't work. :rolleyes:
The setup works great. I was a little worried at first, but when you get the rails tightened up and everything tied down it is really solid. I would not want to put to much weight up there, I have had two sup boards on it and no problems at all.

·
Registered
352 Posts
How tight can you tighten the Thule gutter mounts without cracking the hardtop's lips. Are the rain gutters on the hardtop really that strong that you can put a gutter mount on them, and then carry a canoe for instance ? Its just plastic.
I just make mine snug. Here is my setup with two 12' kayaks. I just did 400 miles with them on the top. I know some will say the rain gutters are not that strong, but I have never seen one crack. Thule says you can put up to 165# I do have bow and stern straps, just in case. I have no issues with running the bars on the Freedom panels either.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I was looking at the Thule system for my hard top to carry a covered ski / cargo carrier. I am worried the the bouncing around from the wind will break the gutters.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I was looking at the Thule system for my hard top to carry a covered ski / cargo carrier. I am worried the the bouncing around from the wind will break the gutters.
I am in the exact same situation. I thing I'm going to go with the MBRP roof rack then put the cargo box on that.

edit... or maybe the through the roof rail system from thule...

·
Because I Can
362 Posts
Just build something like this. It will follow you anywhere, top on or off.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Trektop NX will work with the Thule hardtop gutter mounts, I also have the SUP Taxi.
Hope you're still active on this forum but here goes anyway....

I think I want to mimic your exact setup- quick release rain gutter-mounted rails on top of a trektop nx. Stupid question though--- looks like in your picture you have a surfboard on there. Will the SUP taxi work for a surfboard and SUP? Thule has a million options and im just looking for one option that will work for both boards, and that ill be able to remove quickly if I want to flip back the soft top.

Thanks!
Matt

1 - 17 of 17 Posts