Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leveling and raising.

I am going to put a BDS 2” coil lift on my SE jeep. I just did a bit of measuring. The tub bottom behind the front wheels is 18” and in front of the rear wheel is 19.5” clearance. I am going to buy the BDS coils w/o shocks. I have read where some buy the 2” lift and add a ¾-1” spacer to the front to level. I am thinking of getting a 3” coil in the front and 2” in the rear to level the jeep. It seems like the better way to do it. Is there any reason to do or not do this?

My wife has shut down my budget until I sell my other toy. I can embezzle enough from our budget to buy the coils. I am also going to replace the shocks but until I sell my car or embezzle more money can I run stock shocks w/ the longer coils? I have read many times that you can w/ 2” BB but I am not sure if the coils would give you extra travel that would not allow stock shocks to work at full flex.

Anyone want to buy a 1966 dodge charger?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think you asked about the 2" bds lift I just put on my jeep. It's only been two days, so i don't now how it's going to settle. Actually end up lifting my jeep 3" so far. 4 banger and soft top. I would install the new shocks. If you want the 2" budget boost, then do that. I wouldn't install the new springs without the new shocks. I don't think you need front spacers. I ended up with about a 1/2" lower front end, what I started with. That's ok, in case you trailer or have people in the back, then it will level out. My opinion....I'm just new guy.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I would stick with 2" coils just for the additional costs associated with going to 3" and possible vibe issues. You have to keep in mind that your stock springs may be sagging in the front slightly due to front end weight which may level out with new springs. I would suggest new longer shocks/bumpstops.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@jeepn. Yes u am sure that was me. I am confused. Sorry. You have the +2" springs but you said you raised it a total of 3 in. Did do springs plus 1in spacers? With springs you are only 1/2in lower in the front?

@punk. Yes I would do be shocks and bump stops within a few months. If I added a 3in coil in the front but compressed it with the weight of a bumper and winch would it really change the angles that much to cause more issues?

But you are right. I will probably just do the 2" in front and add a spacers if I sag

Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
No, I installed the 2" springs all around. Guess my old stock ones that are 14 years old were sagging and I didn't know it? That's why it's at 3" higher now. I've read where the new springs might settle a bit, so it the jeep may drop ( hopefully it will cause its a pain to get into now). Had I known, I may have just installed new stock springs. That would have given me a 1" lift, lol! My 31's look a bit undersized now, but lots of room for articulation. Looks tougher too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts