Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Wrangler is nose-down from the factory. Apparently it is that way to improve fuel economy.

How much of a difference in fuel economy does it make? Those of you who put leveling kits on but did NOT change tires, did you see a drop in mpg?

Are there any suspension lifts (springs, not spacers) that preserve the nose-down attitude?

- Keith -

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
I installed a 2" Zone spacer lift and it was a true 2" front and rear. It didn't get rid of the rake, but that's ok because the rake doesn't bother me.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Whether the nose points down a little or not, it's still a cinderblock on wheels. Unless you're dragging a parachute, you won't notice much of a difference between rake/no rake.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whether the nose points down a little or not, it's still a cinderblock on wheels. Unless you're dragging a parachute, you won't notice much of a difference between rake/no rake.
If it doesn't make a difference, why did Jeep build it into the rig? It must make some difference one would think.

- Keith -

·
Registered
619 Posts
If it doesn't make a difference, why did Jeep build it into the rig? It must make some difference one would think.

- Keith -
Honestly, think it through. If you leave it stock, the hood slightly slopes down, but the flat windshield is nearly verticle. If you eliminate the "rake" and lift the front slightly higher than the rear, you have also laid the windshield back (from stock). It's a wash as far as aero goes....a rag-top Wrangler is nothing but a brick....with a sail on top. Hint....they didn't rake the hood down to achieve some mythical aero advantage, they did it for style. (Personally, I like many others, would have preferred they didn't do that)

·
dirt road inspector
3,007 Posts
I do not like the rake either.

I know I will never get good mileage with my Jeep and I don't care. I do want my Jeep to sit level. The post I have seen here for "leveling kits" don't level anything. They just raise the Jeep a couple of inches front and rear.

Why do they call it a "leveling kit"?

I want my Jeep to sit level.......please.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
You can give a brick a rake but it still not going to be areodynamic.

Look at a pick up truck and you'll see a huge rake (stiffer taller rear springs) and that's simply so you can put a quarter or half ton of stuff in the rear without the rear bumper dragging on the ground. The same holds true for all other vehicles, if your going to put 3 people in the rear and a trunk or cargo area full of stuff then you are going to need it sitting higher in the rear when empty so it doesn't sag too much while laden. That being said I don't put a lot of weight in the rear of my vehicle so I like it sitting level.

A leveling lift does level the vehicle, it may be taller than it once was but is level none the less.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
I do not like the rake either.

I know I will never get good mileage with my Jeep and I don't care. I do want my Jeep to sit level. The post I have seen here for "leveling kits" don't level anything. They just raise the Jeep a couple of inches front and rear.

Why do they call it a "leveling kit"?

I want my Jeep to sit level.......please.
There are true leveling kits; AEV makes one and I would assume the TF one is the same. I had the AEV 2" spacer lit on my 2011. Raised the front 2" and the rear 1.25" so it leveled out the rake. But I prefer the rake so when the rear is loaded down with gear, my jeep doesn't squat.

But to each his own. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I believe was getting about 1 MPH more with the rake....on the highway. I swapped springs and it leveled it out (from 14/57 to 17/58) and raised it an inch in front, at least. I did not like the harsher ride and swapped back to stock today. My highway mileage will go back up a bit, I presume.

·
dirt road inspector
3,007 Posts
There are true leveling kits; AEV makes one and I would assume the TF one is the same. I had the AEV 2" spacer lit on my 2011. Raised the front 2" and the rear 1.25" so it leveled out the rake. But I prefer the rake so when the rear is loaded down with gear, my jeep doesn't squat.

But to each his own. :thumb:
Why do I have to raise the rear to get the front up to level? Why can't the front be raised an inch or so and leave the rear where it is?:facepalm:

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
tomthbomb said:
Why do I have to raise the rear to get the front up to level? Why can't the front be raised an inch or so and leave the rear where it is?:facepalm:
This exactly what I did to mine. Here's a shot with 1" spacer in front only:

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
I always thought the rake was for towing or carrying heavy gear. So if your loaded down then your rig will be level vs rear down and making the front "light" which if you have towed heavy loads before you would understand the feeling I'm talking about.

This held true in my dodge cummins when I leveled it and still carried the same loads.

But maybe I'm wrong...

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
You can buy 3/4" spacers just for the front and leave the rear alone. :thumb:

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
But a loveable cinderblock on wheels.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts