Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Commercial Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone figured out how to connect a Ram ball mount to the passenger grab handle on the dash? I've seen third party grab handles have them, but it's more money I want to spend.

Two options I'm considering.

1. Take decorative hex nut out, drill through the plastic. Take stock bolt out, replace with 4-5 inch stud, use nut to secure the handle in. Then attach ball to stud. This is the cleanest to me and what I'd prefer.

2. Use handlebar ram mount, replace bottom cap with a small u-bolt. Line u-bolt with rubber surgical tube or something. This way seems okay, but might have more flex. It also would probably require being placed in center as opposed to one end which I prefer.

Has anyone done it and have any experience with it?

·
Registered
339 Posts
I haven't tried it yet but hope to buy the ball with a through hole that comes with an 8mm bolt. Search the ram mount site for "8mm" to see what I mean. They are designed for mounting to motorcycles but it looks like it would work with one of the bolts for the grab handle.

The other option I'm considering is the rear view mirror mount for Chrysler vehicles.

·
Registered
327 Posts
What angle are you trying to achieve? You could always mount a suction cup to the windshield instead or the passenger window.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Could you use something like this and adapt a RAM ball mount to it?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I'ved used RAM systems in several of my vehicles to mount things like mobile radios, gps, etc. They make strap mounts that would wrap around the grab handle. They use a rubber-covered hose clamp. They also make ball mounts with u-bolts that could be used in such an application. However, I would make sure you angle the arm and holder so that they do not interfere with the passenger airbag.

Here are some photos of the new mount in my '13 Rubicon. I used a strap mount to attach the microphone arm to the main radio arm.

·
Commercial Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'ved used RAM systems in several of my vehicles to mount things like mobile radios, gps, etc. They make strap mounts that would wrap around the grab handle. They use a rubber-covered hose clamp. They also make ball mounts with u-bolts that could be used in such an application. However, I would make sure you angle the arm and holder so that they do not interfere with the passenger airbag.

Here are some photos of the new mount in my '13 Rubicon. I used a strap mount to attach the microphone arm to the main radio arm.
Nice setup you have there.

I got the seat post mount for Christmas and it's great, but it encroaches on the passenger leg room. I'm thinking a simple ball on grab bar would take up the least cabin space and position it perfectly for passenger to navigate. Then when not in use, disconnect and just leave bar there. Great for daily driving days.

The iPhone and iPad cradles are awesome, just hoping for a more compact mount option.

·
Registered
327 Posts
image-3962912868.jpg
For my iPad I ended up using a cup holder mount made by RAM. I wanted to buy the mount that uses the seat bolts but it was back ordered and it wasn't going to be delivered before my trip so I got the cup holder mount instead. It worked surprising well.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
View attachment 227681
For my iPad I ended up using a cup holder mount made by RAM. I wanted to buy the mount that uses the seat bolts but it was back ordered and it wasn't going to be delivered before my trip so I got the cup holder mount instead. It worked surprising well.
Wow your jeep looks like you just found it in a junkyard. Put that baby in the garage and start wiping and apologizing!

·
Registered
625 Posts
View attachment 227681
Wow your jeep looks like you just found it in a junkyard. Put that baby in the garage and start wiping and apologizing!
Looks like trail dust, it usually happens if you actually leave the pavement. It's like Jeep catnip, it makes them happy.

·
Registered
327 Posts
As soon as I got it home I was detailing it. I spent 3-4 hours just on the interior but after wiping it all down, it looks brand new again. :)

Was funny though, I was Jeeping with 2 retired cops. Both mentioned that they have seen rollover accidents with cleaner interiors.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts