Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00427PXFY/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Alright Work gave me a bonus and as I maybe should have use the money for a paint job I decided I'd finally after three Jeeps get a soft top for the summer months. SO after a lot of looking most tops are 600 or over for the kit and frame. I decided that wasn't quite what I wanted to spend and I found this guy. I decided I'd do a official review as it doesn't have to many right now. Side note to everyone I've help a buddy install the Bestop on his JK and I removed and replaced a soft top on a YJ (best-top as well). So I have some experience to compare to. It arrives tomorrow and if our weather holds up I should be able to install!!

·
Registered
722 Posts
I was looking at this top until I was able to find a used bestop with the frame and all locally for a good deal. Looking forward to the review.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright so I failed at taking photos but I can say this must installing was a breeze. Well as much of one as installing a top can be. The instructions were super clear All hardware was included and came in great condition. My couple notes while install would be that the rear tailgate may need some work as the rear seal in making it difficult to close. When installing the Tub rails take note that the Nut plates by the seats are extremely hard to hold in place as there is little hand room.

Windows and all went on like a breeze I can feel the quality in the product and they just feel rugged where the Bestops I helped install felt more soft this is a much stiffer feel. The best part is that this thing is very snug. I believe even after loosening up it won't flap around to much like some after markets will. No tools or anything are needed to have the top roll back. Just pull a couple pins and pull out the slides and let her sit in the back. It comes with a Tonneau cover which is actualy really nice and is a snug fit. I did not install due to shortness on time but will eventually.

Once I get the doors back on I'll drive it around and give y'all the whole deal

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Before my master Cylinder crapped out I got to drive it in nice and rainy weather. There were no leaks anywhere the rain had barley puddled up after a hour of heavy rain (I know it hasn't stretched yet). Noise level is amazing for a soft top as even tho its flapping it isn't making a loud cracking noise as most soft tops I've been in do. The dreaded zippers can be hard at times but I just backed it up gave it a pinch and usually got it after that. I will update once more once I get it running again and drive it around for a week

Attachments

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright back to the review. So the top has still held up great! It's been sitting in the sun with 70-100 degree weather with little rains and oddly the noise lessened! ya that's what I said! The top barley stretched in this dreading hot weather and the little that it did made it not as noisy! Blew me away. Anyways I've lifted the rear window and clamped it in using the ones they've supplied and it was really nice! Held in place amazingly and if you roll up the window right it holds it without causing any creases! Still no leaks nor do I expect any the top is really nicely made and the fact it was cheaper than the competition wows me! I am hoping the weather holds today and I'll be able to roll the top back. I'll give a note about that when it comes around! So far I love this top more than the Bestop my buddy has

·
Registered
533 Posts
Still liking your top?
Any changes in your opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still liking your top?
Any changes in your opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I still really love this top! I just rolled it back today and it was so easy and everything stored up nicely in the back seat! The top really has been good even after reattaching it was still like stock (minus the couple creases in my windows cause I didn't store them in the included bag)

·
Registered
2 Posts
HI
Is your Jeep a hardtop ? I have a '17 Wrangler Sport 2Door and want to take my hard top off during the summer ( I live in Illinois) and want a soft top for the summer months, BUT I want one that easily can be taken off and put back on by myself (I'm a girl, LOL ) for full openness !

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HI
Is your Jeep a hardtop ? I have a '17 Wrangler Sport 2Door and want to take my hard top off during the summer ( I live in Illinois) and want a soft top for the summer months, BUT I want one that easily can be taken off and put back on by myself (I'm a girl, LOL ) for full openness !
Hi @Glynie42

I have two wrangler a 1992 and a 2016 this top is for my 92 in the summer. I have hardtops for both and a soft top for my yj (92) at the moment.

There are a lot of options for a JK in the summer. if you want a soft top for a jk with all hardware, your going to be looking at $1000+

In my opinion that's too much so what I do with my JK is I have a quick hardtop remover (girl friendly) called Hoist-a-cart (they have some that attach to garage roofs too for cheaper just didn't work for me) at $500 and I can take the top and doors off/on in about 30 minutes without any help. If your worried about getting rained on by the horrible weather people after taking it off get a emergency top from quadratec. Not the best top in the world but it does the job if your in a pinch.

If you still want a soft top here's a link for ya to one that I know form friends and such that is good.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/11102_143X_PG.htm

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi - how did you get this installed?

I'm replacing an existing OEM soft top and was able to install most of the hardware, but hit a snag when installing the pieces at the windshield, behind the roll bars. When I installed it, the square that the cross-beam is suppose to go into is turned and pointing down. I tried to loosen the torx screws and move the plate around but I think it's installed correctly - it's just not "correct".

If I were to position the square hole such that it's level and straight for the cross part to enter, the holes don't line up with where the roll bar meets the windshield.

I know Rampage made a note about having to drill holes to install the plates on a CJ but I'm definitely a YJ. The last YJ in fact: 1995.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,985 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rampage is closed today, so I've been checking forums and Bestop's is over $300 more than the Rampage mode. That and the products I've gotten from Bestop in the past - roll bar covers and a bikini top - didn't fit as well as I would have expected to, so I thought I'd try a new brand. Might not have been a good idea :(

Attached is what I'm seeing. Through some strong arming I can get the cross bar into the square hole but the connection is never made and it's frankly gets stuck in there and the angle looks wrong.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Been there...

I have the same top and just installed it this weekend. The square portion on mine were on the outside of the roll bar, with the pop connectors facing up. I had to make minor bends to the bracket to make it work, I attached it to the bar first, and matched the angles and tightened it down.

Attachments

·
Registered
767 Posts
I installed it. I posted a bunch in another thread.

With the brackets - yeah they aim down - but you can work the door surround into it still. I think the bracket aims down to ensure the door surround stays down by the latch.

Use the pins too. Press the second in pin to get the first pin down before inserting it into the windshield bracket. That is why there are two pins.

·
Registered
767 Posts
So I used this top all summer. It stinks. It's close to a decent top - but it's not.

I spent around $350 for it off Amazon. Was a wharehouse deal. Plus I had some Amazon gift cards. So I bought it.

My YJ came with the half doors and top from the factory. I was using that top still with Bestop skin from around 1999 still (American made Bestop stuff - you know it's vintage!). The skin and zippers were looking bad.

I also have a hard top and doors I used this past winter. I did a thread on restoring a hard top here.

I always wanted the uber rare full door soft top that Jeep offered at the end of the YJ run. Never could find one - so this top was pretty close to that top's design.

I've also had a Bestop Supertop for a few years that mice ate while stored in the garage one summer.

So I've used pretty much every top out there to date for a YJ.

The Rampage 68035 top...

First - I know Rampage isn't the best stuff out there. I've been through the Steel Horse brand and every other name they've abused since then. This complete top is a third of a new Supertop for a reason.

I usually leave my YJ door free and open through the spring and summer. I use a bikini top more for sun protection.

INSTALLING THE TOP:

First, since I bought this as a wharehouse deal, I knew the box was banged up. The only issue with the top was that one of the feet for the supports was broken. So I installed the top as much as possible - without the foot - and went from there. I contacted Lund for a new foot which they sent.

Also, one of the spreader bars lacked a pin. Odds are it fell out of the box since the box was damaged. Same damage seems to be how the foot was broken too. Amazon issue.

Parts finally came and installed. Setting the top up is a bit goofy as the feet don't slide well enough in the tracks. Top, when up, didn't fit right. I've worked it over numerous times with slight improvements. The rear corners don't stay in the body tab.

Hoped the material would stretch over the summer - it didn't. I can get them in - super tight - but will pop out.

Driving with the canopy up only is crappy since it's not holding down.

You'd think the top would be real tight, right? Not at all. The top's canopy is loose and flappy. The sides - right above the windows - are incredibly tight. So I can't get the spreaders to spread more.

Poor fit quality is the issue.

The rear window is ok. The low quality zippers make opening it a chore. The YKK zippers used on my JK factory top are like butter. These garbage grade zippers are misery. You have to pull each side as you try to slide the zipper. I even added marine zipper lube to the teeth and all with little help.

You can see the poor quality window in the picture.

The fabric also allows water to seep through. Since the top is flappy - it also allows water to pool on it between the spreaders. So you'll have water on the floor.

I had one of the door rod retainers break. The metal used isn't strong. Infact it rusts up pretty fast. The door surround rods are what make the frame for the top around the door openings. So you have to slide the one side into a retainer clip on the body and into the discussed brackets on the windshield. The metal rod will scratch up and instantly rust. Thus removal from the bracket is pretty hard. Just working it gingerly out of the bracket caused my bracket to snap off.

All the hardware will rust. Bad. It rusts so bad that rust water runs off the hardware when wet and still make rust stains on your jeep and the concrete under it. I will replace the body mounting bolts next year if I even put this back on.

It does look nice.

I wish I had spent the extra cash and just bought a Bestop Mexico made replacement skin and reused the OEM hardware. I was hoping to have the full door soft top fun during the fall and spring.

Oh well.

Attachments

·
Registered
767 Posts
Bestop supertop works w full doors
Been there - done that. It didn't work with the roof rack I had on my Jeep in the spring. Not that it matters now as I removed it again.

My Supertop was destroyed by mice when I had it off. My mistake.

Best part was that the top was from 1995. The guy I bought it from actually called and ordered it from Bestop directly in the day. He never installed it and it was still sitting in the original box 10 years later.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts