Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rampage Trailguard Rear Bumper Review

While I was looking for information about Rampage's Trailview Soft Top about a month back I stumbled upon their Facebook page (which offered no good information about the top by the way!) and found a pretty sweet looking bumper on one of their JKs that I had never seen before. I had been eyeing the ACE Engineering bumper for the slant-back feature but it looked like Rampage offered that as well. I contacted all of the usual suspects (4WD, Quadratec, etc) looking for the bumper for nearly a month and all I kept hearing was "we expect it in a few weeks". I was able to find ZERO information about the bumper online so on Friday I decided to Google the part number one last time and BOOM I found CarID (never heard of them prior) claiming to have it in stock and at a ridiculously low price. I called and they discounted it even more!! Much to my surprise it showed up Monday morning, less than one full business day from the time I ordered it!

So, assuming there are others like me looking at this bumper I figured I would post up a review and throw some pictures out here as it appears nobody else in the world has this bumper (exaggerating but I dare you to find any info!!)

Quality
The build quality is far superior to any of the Made in China bumpers that I've seen or owned in the past. The powder coat is complete and I even managed to drop one end while trying to install myself with no damage to the finish.

The bumper is heavy! The welds appear clean and solid and I was even surprised to see that the shackle mounts were welded on the inside and outside. The bumper and carrier fit together well and the carrier mounts cleanly to the swing gate and has no vibrations or rattles.

What I Like
It may be a love/hate thing but I think the slant-back style carrier is badass! There aren't too many companies that offer this and this one is well done and solid. To me this sets my JK apart from the others around here

The carrier has a nice style to it and affords the ability to mount "things" to it like jack, fuel, etc

The lines of the bumper are somewhat unique with the angles but it provides a somewhat OEM style at the same time that just fits.

By removing the tire and a few bolts you can convert from the slant-back style to the traditional vertical mount. I would guess it would take 10-15 minutes to do so. Both configuration mounts are included in the package.

It has an integrated hitch that has full length welds and safety chain hooks. I will not hesitate to tow with this bumper.

Super easy install! 2 bolts on each corner, 4 bolts for the hitch area, one castle nut on the bottom of the carrier mount, 6 bolts for the gate plate, and a few odds and ends to assemble the tire mount and brake light mount. Took less than 2 hours by myself

What I Don't Like
The bumper goes straight across the back and doesn't mate with the fender. This looks kind of incomplete to me. My previous bumper was a Smittybilt XRC Gen 2 which I think looked much better from this aspect

There is a Rampage logo cut out of the driver's side. While not overbearing, I prefer a completely clean logo-free style for just about everything I put on my Jeep

Assuming you haven't fallen asleep reading my winded post, here are some pics which again I was able to find zero of "out in the wild". Let me know if you want any additional info or any more pics

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a quick question on this bumper, because I have the front bumper and wanted to purchase the rear but was not sure if I will have to get rid of my tow hitch that came with the Jeep? Do you know if I will need to remove the tow hitch that came with the Jeep once I remove the stock bumper?

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
I have the Rampage Recovery bumpers front and rear. I really like the way they line up with the body in the rear. A really solid bumper at a great price.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts