Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after my soft top being down for about 2 months I put it up yesterday and found one of my vertical rod brackets was broken.
I’ve looked for a replacement part for a few hours today but my google-fu is weak.
I found this:
https://www.quadratec.com/products/31011_9002.htm
But it’s a Besttop (don’t I wish).
Mine is a Rampage (came with the Jeep, but up to this point it’s been fine).
Pic:

As you can see my part needs a square opening for my vertical rod and the part from Besttop is round.
Besides JB Weld, any other suggestions?
New top is a no-go at this point.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
What did Rampage say when you called their customer service line?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What did Rampage say when you called their customer service line?

Haven’t yet. It’s a good idea. I was just hoping someone may be better at finding parts than I and would send me a link and say “here you go”. Then I would say “thank you!” and order it up.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you weld it

I don’t think so, it’s very cheap, flimsy metal. My dad would have called it “pot metal”.
If all else fails I will take it to a local shop and ask though.
Thanks.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sucks maybe they could fab something

I’ll definitely look at that option if I don’t find a replacement. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,647 Posts
I'm a retired autobody technician. We welded sheet metal all the time. That bracket looks like mild steel. Note the rust.
If I were to weld it, I'd clean off the paint and then I'd make a backing plate for the top and spot weld it in place.
Then I'd turn it over and burn a weld through the crack, into the backing plate. If the bracket sits flush on the top edge of the tub, a guy might have to dress up the weld bead a bit.
That should be stronger than the original. Then a shot of spray can black and you're back in business.

If you were anywhere near Parker/Elizabeth Colorado, I'd have you come by and I'd weld it for free. It shouldn't take more than a half hour, including paint.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: Instructor9

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally got around to contacting customer support. We’ll see how it goes.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ve talked to a gentleman at CS on and off for a few days, and today he told me I could not get a replacement part. I could however buy a replacement top.

While I was talking to him I had also inquired about a replacement key for the console the PO had installed and lost the keys to.
Again, no replacements.

Look, I know Rampage isn’t the top of the line, but I was really hoping they would go out of their way to try to keep a customer. Nope.
Just passing it along. I guess I’ll try to get it repaired or start saving for a bestop.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
That's just sheet metal... mig weld it back together... then never buy anything from them again.... ;)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's just sheet metal... mig weld it back together... then never buy anything from them again.... ;)

That’s the plan!
And, just for the record, I’ve never bought anything from rampage, the soft top and console was in-on the Jeep when purchased.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm a retired autobody technician. We welded sheet metal all the time. That bracket looks like mild steel. Note the rust.
If I were to weld it, I'd clean off the paint and then I'd make a backing plate for the top and spot weld it in place.
Then I'd turn it over and burn a weld through the crack, into the backing plate. If the bracket sits flush on the top edge of the tub, a guy might have to dress up the weld bead a bit.
That should be stronger than the original. Then a shot of spray can black and you're back in business.

If you were anywhere near Parker/Elizabeth Colorado, I'd have you come by and I'd weld it for free. It shouldn't take more than a half hour, including paint.

Good Luck, L.M.

Thanks L.M., I sure wish I was!

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Yeah ur prolly a little too far from me also... I'm just across the river from Louisville.... but I'd be happy to weld it for ya too.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Sorry I'm just reading this now. I have that crappy top and that bracket also broke on mine. I called customer service and they sent me a new one.

The biggest issue I had was trying to explain the part. The top isn't made anymore from what I gather. Rampage is just a name. You actually deal with Llund.

I had a few issues with parts on that top and they sent me replacements for everything I needed so far.

I took the top off at the end of this past summer. I don't think I'm using it again. While not the worst top ever; it's far from what I like to use.

·
Registered
427 Posts
@Instructor9

Shoot me a PM and I'll forward my emails with lund for this top. This way you could get the same help I got.

Here's the last person who helped me from Lund. They're always nice to me. But this was back in August 2018...

Matt I am sending you this replacement part. I am sorry for the trouble you have had, and I hope everything goings smooth from here on out. If you have any more questions please feel free to let me know. You should receive this part in 3-5 business days. Your warranty order number is going to be, 376112.

-Cory

Cory Fritsch | Tech Support Rep | Lund International
678.804.3919 p | c | f
Office: 4325 Hamilton Mill Rd. | Buford,GA | 30518
Cory Fritsch <[email protected]>

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Wait.... so ur name isn't Dusty?!?!?!?....

Lol

·
Super Moderator
10,647 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
^^^Gottfried Spiedforst..Lost something in translation when his Great Great Great Grandfather emigrated from Europe.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts