Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I recently purchased a 2004 TJ X 4.0 5sp. It came with a Ramsey patriot 8,000 winch but I have no idea how to work it, since I've never owned a winch. Does this model require a remote to use it? I can see were it plugs in but the dealer said he didn't have it and has no idea how to operate it either. I tried moving the levers on the winch but they don't budge so at this point I don't even know if the thing works. It wasn't a deal breaker for me since its a nice jeep but it would be a nice extra if the thing works. Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi,
I recently purchased a 2004 TJ X 4.0 5sp. It came with a Ramsey patriot 8,000 winch but I have no idea how to work it, since I've never owned a winch. Does this model require a remote to use it? I can see were it plugs in but the dealer said he didn't have it and has no idea how to operate it either. I tried moving the levers on the winch but they don't budge so at this point I don't even know if the thing works. It wasn't a deal breaker for me since its a nice jeep but it would be a nice extra if the thing works. Any help is appreciated

Looky here

Ramsey Wired Remote Controllers 251110 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

https://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/18555.pdf

It's a very good, durable winch. Is it wired to the battery? Or is it a dud, just stuck on there to make the deal look better? You can use light duty wire and short two pins at a time on the connector to see if the winch will operate without electrically damaging the winch. Watch out you don't reel in the cable too tightly. Get some slack in the cable and then put the gears in neutral and manually pull out the cable..then you can experiment safely.

The lever will not release when the drum is under tension, so you will need to release tension via the wire jump mention above (DANGER DANGER) or you will need to borrow, steal, or buy a remote.

Phil

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Phil, it's wired to the battery so I'm hoping it's not just for show. My buddy is a mechanic but like me has no experience with winches so when we tried to put it in gear and the lever didn't budge he thought the motor was seized. Going to try the remote in the link you provided. Thanks again!

·
Registered
615 Posts
If The winch cable is Fully wound in it's likely got tension on the winch drum & the Free Spool Lever may not turn until tension is released slightly with a remote.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok it gets better lol. Upon further inspection I found that the winch has the Ramsey wireless controller hooked up, the dealer had no clue and also has no idea were the key fob is. Also I found the black box hidden under the hood but didn't see any coax cable for the antenna like the pics show on the Ramsey website. Does Ramsey make a version that doesn't use a coax cable antenna? I just want to make sure before I order a key fob and may not need to purchase the antenna. Thanks in advance

·
Knows a couple things...
49,410 Posts
Just buy a new plug-in wired winch controller and you'll be good to go. Ramsey Wired Remote Controllers 251110 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Here's a .pdf copy of your Owner's Manual, make sure to read and understand it. Winches can be deadly when not used properly, make sure to watch how they're used on the trail and get some instruction from an experienced winch operator. :)

http://www.ramsey.com/content/documents/manuals/automotive-winches---consumer/914079-1206-h.pdf

Nice winch by the way, that's an American made winch. Not many are these days. :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just buy a new plug-in wired winch controller and you'll be good to go. Ramsey Wired Remote Controllers 251110 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Here's a .pdf copy of your Owner's Manual, make sure to read and understand it. Winches can be deadly when not used properly, make sure to watch how they're used on the trail and get some instruction from an experienced winch operator. :)

http://www.ramsey.com/content/documents/manuals/automotive-winches---consumer/914079-1206-h.pdf

Nice winch by the way, that's an American made winch. Not many are these days. :)
Thanks for the help and the links, much appreciated.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I got the wired controller from Summit today and the winch works. Thanks again for the help everyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts