Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I'm having an issue that's driving me insane. I bought a new jeep with an old ramsey winch installed. Honestly haven't used it yet. Hoping to soon(2weeks)I have no idea what model/capacity. I've searched and search to find not one answer.
It has a remote that I attach and I can hear/see it pull in. However it won't let the line out via the remote. It's attached to my hook now and is torqued really good. I don't think there is even a clutch. Unless its in the second pic. Please help !!!

image-1111622705.jpg

image-1825999499.jpg

image-3745290279.jpg

image-2161102006.jpg

·
Registered
864 Posts
Had a simular issue with my winch. I accidentally blew the out solenoid. The second pic is your clutch to allow to freespool. If the cable is under tension you likely won't be able to release the clutch. You may have to do what I did and pull the cutter pin and drive out the pin holding the hook to the cable. If you do, and I can't stress this enough, BE CAREFUL!!! When mine freed the pin bounced off the headlight and shot 3/4 of the way across my buddy's garage. If it had hit someone it would have done some damage. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advise, going to try it out tomorrow after work (((raining now))) ill keep ya posted !

·
Registered
358 Posts
That is the exact winch I have on my pickup. It should be a 8000 pound. You should just need to replace the solenoid unless you have a bad remote. Be sure to get the Ramsey ones cause I bought some cheap ones off of eBay and they did not last. They are a good winch though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is the exact winch I have on my pickup. It should be a 8000 pound. You should just need to replace the solenoid unless you have a bad remote. Be sure to get the Ramsey ones cause I bought some cheap ones off of eBay and they did not last. They are a good winch though.
I have yet to get it fixed. But I still can't free spool it. The clutch won't budge. I might have to cave in and have someone do it for me. But the wife said I'm done with jeep toys for a bit. But I'm sure she won't notice the leveling kit in the closet for a while. Lol

·
Knows a couple things...
49,478 Posts
Use your hand to roll the drum back & forth a tad, that will sometimes relieve enough tension on the gears to allow the lever to be moved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts