Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I am super new to building/driving offroad vehicles and looking for some advice. A couple of months ago (November) my sons and I put a rancho 2" progressive sport lift on our 2015 jku Sahara. It has 60k miles on it. At the same time I put on new 17x9 aluminum wheels and a set of 285/70/r17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Since we put this all together, I've noticed that the the steering seems kinda "twitchy". Its not like the steering is loose, it just seems to want to wander right or left instead of just straight. It's noticible from around 30 mph and up. Nothing drastic or super scary, just different from before the lift.
Not sure if I am making sense). There are SO MANY options to buy for lift kits that I am kind of lost. One reason we went with this mild lift was to avoid needing expensive additional components. I have not taken it in for an alignment yet, and maybe that's all I need. My hope was that if I definatly need to "add" something to the lift, I can do that, and then have the alignment done. Do I need geo correction brackets or adjustable lower control arms? Adjustable track bar? Something else...?
I am learning SO MUCH, but still have so far to go!
Thanks for your advice and expertise. This forum and YouTube are so wonderful for those of us new to the world of Jeeps!

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Definitely get an alignment check. Sounds like your caster is out of wack after the lift. Could be that you need some geometry correction via either new front lower control arms or geometry correction brackets (such as Rancho).

I personally ran the Teraflex Sport fixed lower control arms with that exact lift and had zero problems with driving characteristics. Still run those same LCAs with my current Mopar lift as well. That said, every Jeep is different.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have the same lift and have driven around on it for around a month. Overall i'm very happy with it, however I have noticed occasional "flighty" steering depending on the road, etc… Mine will track straight as an arrow down the highway, but somewhat fights me on side roads. I just added the Geo Brackets last night. I will be driving it this weekend and report back with the changes, if any. I've read nothing but good things about them, and hope they return the characteristics back closer to a stock feel.

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
What you’re feeling is most likely caused by the loss of caster after the lift. With a 2” lift I would consider a set of lower adjustable control arms. As you lengthen them over stock it adds positive caster to your front end geometry. You want to be around 5 degrees positive caster and it should drive great. Geometry brackets are another choice but for such low lift heights I’d just do control arms. I’ve had a day of wheeling go bad because of geometry brackets on a club members Jeep so I’m a little biased against them.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
Having done a lot of lower lift height lifts, I strongly agree with the above comments. In my experience, about 1/2 of all Jeeps lifted at 2" need caster correction. Just because of the geometry of the suspension, you automatically lose caster as you lift. Sometimes it is still within acceptable parameters...

At the lower lift heights like 2", I prefer control arms because the geometry brackets are actually an over correction until you get to about 3" of lift and above.

If you want to stay Rancho, they have a set of adjustable control arms that would be a great addition. Set them at 22-15/16" eye to eye and go love your Jeep again.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/rancho/...-jeep-wrangler-wrangler-unlimited-jk-2-4-lift

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the feedback. I am leaning towards purchasing the adjustable lower control arms because they would allow me to go to a higher lift later. One more question from the responses- for now do I just need a pair of LCA's for the front, or rear LCA's also? Thanks again !

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Thank you all for the feedback. I am leaning towards purchasing the adjustable lower control arms because they would allow me to go to a higher lift later. One more question from the responses- for now do I just need a pair of LCA's for the front, or rear LCA's also? Thanks again !
Front lowers are all you need. Rears aren’t necessary but if you were to do them you’re going to want the uppers instead of lower.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I finally had a chance to get out and drive it yesterday and the experience with the Geo brackets is night and day. I would highly recommend them.

·
Super Moderator
6,793 Posts
Thanjs for all the great feedback and suggestions!
One final note, the Rancho geometry brackets are also adjustable, and will also allow you to upgrade to a higher lift down the road if you end up going that way. They adjust in steps, vs most arms adjusting in rotations of a threaded adjuster. There is increased precision in the threaded adjusters of most adjustable arms, but arms don't address the angle of the control arms. The adjustable arms only address caster, while the brackets also address the angle of the control arms which can lead to a better ride quality (especially at higher lift heights).
Either way works, but I think for most people the brackets are the better option. And they are usually the cheaper options as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts